Thread: Buyer is going to use trade plates to travel home - need advice please

Default Buyer is going to use trade plates to travel home - need advice please

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum and would like some advice on the following matter.

Basically, i have just sold my car which has a private registration plate on it and I only realised today (at about 3pm) that the DVLA offices will be closing at 5pm and they are only open Mon-Fri as i need to put my current private registration plate onto 'retention' which is 105.00 for the year and transfer my previous (original) number plate back onto the vehicle.
    The problem is, i couldn't reach the DVLA office in time with the relevant paperwork etc as i was at work and apparently the application takes a minimum of 5 working days to be completed (transfer old reg back on).

The purchaser is travelling down tomorrow and will be here by the afternoon to collect the vehicle, i have informed him that i didn't realise that it took a minimum of 5 working days to transfer the registration plate and that it had slipped my mind unfortunately. Although i did suggest leaving the pick up until saturday 30th to allow for time to get things sorted, he insisted on picking it up tomorrow and his solution is to travel with his friend by train who has trade plates (i am presuming he is a mechanic or something) and i will put the original number plates back onto the car and he will put the trade plates in the window screen etc on display to travel back home with.
    On Monday morning i will then go to the DVLA office and fill out/give the relevant paperwork to enable my private registration plate to be put onto retention and for the previous original number plate to be transferred back onto the vehicle. The new keeper said he will not use the car and will park it on his drive until the original number plate has been transferred, at which point i will contact him and let him know it has been completed.

Does this seem okay to do?/legal?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice it is much appreciated!
    Mike.

Welcome to the site mdee01, if the buyer has trade plates then he could be a dealer, as they are the only folk, that I know of, who use them.

Did you say that you have the "proper reg plate in your possession"? As even if they were put back on, the car would still show up on the ANPR, as registered you, with your customised plate?

The buyer should understand your situation, as to transferring the reg plates back to the original ones, and give you time to do so, good luck.

Manufacturers deliver brand new un registered vehicles from the factory to the docks or to dealers on Trade Plates alone before the registration number has been allocated. So maybe you can just take the number plates off and not put your previous plates on.

Strictly speaking the 'trader' who has the trade plates is breaking the law. As he is not the buyer and simply helping a mate, then he is breaking the conditions of the licence. Having said that, it may be quite difficult for the police to prove. Strictly, within the conditions, the trader can only move the vehicle between trade premises.
    The full details are on a pdf: http://www.dft.gov.uk/.../VTL301%20t...20guidance%20n...

Having said this, it is not your responsibility. Once you have sold the car, taken the money and issued a receipt then you are no longer the owner or keeper of the car. So, if the buyer chooses to drive the car on a different number plate from that shown at DVLA, then he would be guilty of use, cause or permit an offence in relation to the number plates and excise licence. The trader would also be guilty of the same.
    As this is simply a number plate transfer, it would be very unlikely that a prosecution would ever result. This is because the prosecution would have to be authorised by DVLA and as the car is currently taxed, there is no loss of revenue. While displaying a tax disc for, technically, the wrong registration, this will be resolved when the transfer is completed. A new tax disc will be issued and it will be back dated in any case.

Ultimately, once you have sold the car, the problem is not yours.

I completely agree with Hometune above. I would give the new owner the plates and leave him to put them on the car if he chooses. Once you hand the car over it is not your responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I completely agree with Hometune above. I would give the new owner the plates and leave him to put them on the car if he chooses. Once you hand the car over it is not your responsibility.
    However, UNTIL DVLA have processed the change of ownership, then the computer says you are the registered keeper.

The computer can say what it likes - in LAW the responsibility passes to the new owner at the point of exchange.

There is a huge amount of case law relating to the exact point at which ownership of goods passes from one to another, but there would be no dispute here.

hi the idea of trade plates are exactly what they say... they are a registration for the car at that time registered to your buyers friend...so the cars reg number will actually be not needed at that time as the trade plates reg number will take over until they get the car home ...and to answer your question ...YES ITS LEGAL hope this helps

A bit late Richy. I imagine that the deal is long since done and dusted.

but on the subject of trade plates, I would agree that a trader could use his trade plates for that purpose as he is arguaby acting within the motor trade - just a moot point!