Thread: Requirement to carry Spare Lamps

Default Requirement to carry Spare Lamps

I understand that it is a requirement to carry a full set of spare lamps when driving on the continent, although this is not a bad idea at any time. However, what is the position where a car is fitted with Xenon lamps and /or LED lamps? Are these included or are they specifically exempted from the rule?

There are 40-odd countries on the Continent, each of which has its own laws ...

To the best of my knowledge, there are no exceptions for 'normal' vehicles.

Welcome to the site MACH1, hope you can join in the forums.

Unusual driving laws abroad

France – all drivers are required to carry a breathalyser

Scandinavia – it is illegal to drive without headlights, even in daylight

Spain – if you need to wear glasses, you are required to carry an additional pair when driving

Germany – it is illegal to drive without Winter tyres at certain times of the year

Belarus – it is illegal to drive a dirty car

Spain – in some cities, cars must be parked on different sides of the road according to the day of the week

Serbia – compulsory equipment to be held by driver includes a tow bar and 3m rope

Russia – it is forbidden to pick up hitchhikers

Back in the late 70s or early 80s, Uxbridge was gridlocked because of a dirty bus. There was some kind of labour dispute at the Bus Depot and the buses weren't being cleaned. Police stopped a double decker bus and insisted it had to be washed before it could continue. (Tail lights and number plate were completely illegible.) Eventually three guys arrived with a 'cherry picker' to clean the bus at the roadside, and had to double park next to it. Originally, they just tried to clean off the lights and number plate, but the PC who had stopped it was adamant that the whole thing had to be cleaned as he was quoting a law that states that buses have to be clean.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdad View Post
    Unusual driving laws abroad

France – all drivers are required to carry a breathalysers Well, they are French

Scandinavia – it is illegal to drive without headlights, even in daylight might end up as law here soon

Spain – if you need to wear glasses, you are required to carry an additional pair when drivingCompletely sensible - I wear glasses and have an up to date spare pair - let's face it, would you really want someone who can't see properly driving a car?

Germany – it is illegal to drive without Winter tyres at certain times of the year again sensible; we don't normally get the prevailing conditions of a German winter, despite this year's experience.

Belarus – it is illegal to drive a dirty car depends what that means! I'd always have screens, lights and plates clean of muck and as I do a load of rally stages, these can get filthy - besides you can get done here if they aren't clear. And one does like to have all round vision when driving. As to whether bodywork is clean, I regard a dirty 4x4 as a bit of a safeguard if one is forced to visit one of those areas where anti 4x4 brigades are rife - they go apoplectic when they realise it's genuine mud (and maybe something else) they've got on their clothes!!

Spain – in some cities, cars must be parked on different sides of the road according to the day of the weekThis is quite common in UK - Stratford-upon-Avon had this 25 years ago

Serbia – compulsory equipment to be held by driver includes a tow bar and 3m rope towbar might be an issue but to me it's just common sense that every car should have towing hooks and a tow rope

Russia – it is forbidden to pick up hitchhikersNot being familiar with Russia, can't comment!!
    Not having a go at you Davesdad - that was a fascinating collection of facts for someone totally UK bound!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Back in the late 70s or early 80s, Uxbridge was gridlocked because of a dirty bus. There was some kind of labour dispute at the Bus Depot and the buses weren't being cleaned. Police stopped a double decker bus and insisted it had to be washed before it could continue. (Tail lights and number plate were completely illegible.) Eventually three guys arrived with a 'cherry picker' to clean the bus at the roadside, and had to double park next to it. Originally, they just tried to clean off the lights and number plate, but the PC who had stopped it was adamant that the whole thing had to be cleaned as he was quoting a law that states that buses have to be clean.
    Excellent. Its about time that the Police stopped more busses. Most of the busses from Uxbridge Depot have Identification numbers on the roof to enable the Police helicopter to track them.