Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rights when buying from a dealer...

Default Rights when buying from a dealer...

Hello all,

On Friday I bought a Vauxhall Astra Sri 1.9 turbo diesel from a dealer. It was sold with full Vauxhall service history and the dealer said he gives a one month gearbox and engine warranty. On Friday night the emissions light came on and also the screen was telling me to check the coolant (I have and its fine) so I made several attempts to contact the dealer over the weekend with not much luck. I took it to Kwik Fit on Sunday who did a diagnostics test and it has come up with a faulty ERG valve and needs a new sensor for the coolant... They quoted 424. They also suggested that perhaps a previous diagnostics had been done and the light had just been switched off without any repairs.
    I managed to get hold of the dealer and told him this and asked him to cover it, he said that they should just take the valve out and clean it then put it back in. I declined this and told him it needs replacing. So he has said he will do it at his local garage however has got very stroppy with me about doing the sensor as he says his warranty is engine and gearbox only. I asked him to provide me with the paperwork after the job is done so I know he hasn't just cleaned it and put the faulty one back in... This is when he got quite cross.
    I have also noticed a rattling when the clutch is pressed in and a whirring from the front drivers side, neither was there when I test drove it. I am concerned that if I ask him to sort this out as well he is going to get annoyed and refuse to do the lot. If this happens I am not sure where I stand.... Is he obliged to do this work seen as though I just bought the car? What do I do if he refuses? And am I entitled to have copies of the receipts of the work done?

It is probably obvious that I haven't a clue about cars... I did test drive this vehicle and checked the paperwork however was on my own. I am not sure if I have been naive, this is a genuine unfortunate incident or the dealer has deliberately screwed me over in the hope I wouldn't come back.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :-)

The dealer is responsible for any faults on the vehicle for 6 months from the date of purchase, Excluding wear and tear on things like tyres.

You'll probably find the fault is not just the EGR valve, There is lots of information on these problems in the technical section.

Welcome to the forums BTW.
    Last edited by MrDanno; 04-03-13 at 18:21.

Sale of Goods Act - the dealer must by law give you 6 months full warranty on the car. Do not take the car to Kwik Fit or anywhere else as the dealer must have the first opportunity to repair the car. Forget about receipts etc, it is the dealer's responsibility.
    The rattling will either be the clutch or the gearbox and very expensive to repair. the whirring could be anything and likely to again be expensive.
    A large number of these dealers get "annoyed" in the hope you will go away and most do, so the "1 month" myth continues. So, unfortunately, your last line is correct.

You must tell him in straight language (no swearing, shouting etc) you want the car fixed within 7 days or your money back in full. If he refuses then send him a letter by recorded delivery giving him 7 days to fix the car or you will begin legal action to recover the price you paid. At the same time you must contact Citizens Advice here: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/consumer_e and ask them to forward your complaint to the local Trading Standards office for the area where the dealer has his business.

If you have any doubts, search this forum, as this is one of the most common questions asked.

Thank you so much for your advice. I am going to see him tomorrow to take the car, he will not answer my question when I ask him how long it is going to take despite asking several times. It is certainly useful to know the above before I see him face to face. I am almost certain he is not going to take kindly to the extra problems that need looking at but fingers crossed it goes ok! Thank you again.

Em, I suggest that you take a friend or relative with you as both support and as a witness.

Dennis is right. Much better not to go on your own and better still if you can find someone who will not be intimidated but will stay calm and insistent about your right to redress.

Took a friend from work as a bit of support. I got a slightly frosty welcome to say the least and he continued with the one month warranty stuff. However he has taken the car to a garage and has agreed to replace the ERG valve. He heard the whirring from the front as well and I have told him that I want it fixed along with the sensor and the clutch... I am not convinced he will though and have a feeling he is going to pull a fast one (he said he could not hear the clutch noise...). I told him about the six month warranty by law and if he doesn't fix it then I want a full refund and he can have the car back, he argued for a while but when I offered to show him the papers I printed from the Citizens Advice he didn't seem so sure of himself. So anyway, fingers crossed he will do all the repairs and it doesn't need to go any further!
    Thanks again for all your help!

good luck:

Buying a car is such a lottery.

Default Dealer problems!

Hi all,

I purchased a 1.4 tdi Volkswagen polo from a used car dealership 3 months ago, as part of the deal the dealership changed the cambelt water pump and oil . This morning when starting, it made a very unusual sound and was idling strange.I took it to a garage and was told that the cambelt had slipped causing it to break something within the head. I bought the polo in Swindon and i now live in a town in Scotland 545 miles away. When i spoke to the dealer in swindon explaining what had gone wrong he told me that i needed to pay for the car to be transported back down to Swindon so that it could be repaired . He told me the reason for this, is so that he can have it repaired at his garage, so he isn't being ripped off by a garage in Scotland doing the work.

I'm not sure if i am liable to pay for the transportation of the car? what are my rights?

thanks

Its the dealer's problem so he pays the transportation costs. If he had any sense he would ask you to get a couple of quotes locally and pay for the work which would work out cheaper.