Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car Headlights

I saw on Top Gear a while ago, where in order to change a bulb on certain Renaults, that you have to remove the font bumper along with the wheel.

They actually timed two blokes to see who could do the quickest, one was a mechanic, the other was a breakdown engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    I saw on Top Gear a while ago, where in order to change a bulb on certain Renaults, that you have to remove the font bumper along with the wheel.

They actually timed two blokes to see who could do the quickest, one was a mechanic, the other was a breakdown engineer.
    How long did it take them, can you remember?

The dipping headlight bulbs on my Touran are not that easy to replace. Compared to my previous touran, my present car's headlamps have a bit more rake to their design. Under the bonnet this has moved their casings further back - closer to the fittings behind them.

removal is fairly easy but, to fit the bulbs, one's fingers fill the whole of the aperture so that it is impossible to see where the bulb holder is in relation to the fitting that accepts it. It is a locate-and-turn operation, but the positioning for this is far from positive.
    I have slim fingers, so heaven knows how anyone with meaty fingers would get on.
    Now that the car is free from the maker's warranty, I have been looking at the possibilty of cutting a 25mm hole in each lamp housing and fitting rubber blanking plugs so as to provide a sighting hole, but space for doing this is very limited.

Quote......."How long did it take them, can you remember?"

I cant remember the exact time, but I think its was just over an hour.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for fitting bulbs, I had to get someone else to fit it for me, as my fingers were too big, no matter what I tried, I just couldn't fit it through the small aperture?

Which I thought at the time, was a very bad design fault.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Quote......."How long did it take them, can you remember?"

I cant remember the exact time, but I think its was just over an hour.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for fitting bulbs, I had to get someone else to fit it for me, as my fingers were too big, no matter what I tried, I just couldn't fit it through the small aperture?

Which I thought at the time, was a very bad design fault.
    Err, your fingers or the headlight.

I have often voiced the idea that every workshop/garage should employ a left-handed, double-jointed midget for some of the jobs that have to be undertaken.

Aye! maybe he could change the bulb in a Renault a lot quicker?

When my daughters were younger, they both had an interest in mechanics, and I must admit to employing their small hands on a number of occasions. Unfortunately, time went on and they both grew. Now the grandkids get the awkward jobs.