Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter Tyres and Germany

I thought it was always winter in Scotland! I know our Trunkers used to always go prepared for a night out during the winter when going to Mossend.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    Winter tyres should be used when it is likely that the temperature is going to be continually below 7 degrees and changed back to summer tyres when it is likely to be continually higher than 7 degrees.
    Since we only go as far north as Yorkshire, and that at more clement times of the year, otherwise generally from the Midlands southwards, I am happy to stick with my 'summer' tyres and drive according to the conditions. Unless one ventures regularly into severe winter conditions, swapping back and forth between summer and winter tyres seems to me to be a lot of trouble and expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Since we only go as far north as Yorkshire, and that at more clement times of the year, otherwise generally from the Midlands southwards, I am happy to stick with my 'summer' tyres and drive according to the conditions. Unless one ventures regularly into severe winter conditions, swapping back and forth between summer and winter tyres seems to me to be a lot of trouble and expense.
    I agree Snowball, Here in the mid to south of the UK we have no real need for winter tyres and I have never fitted them to my own personal vehicles.

However, I would not go along with the 'They are only marginally better than a summer tyre'. In Eastern Europe where temperatures are almost always around -5 and -20 during winter, Ask someone why they have winter tyres and the reply is always something like " Either you have winter tyres or it is not possible to drive anywhere" and in those areas it is not a legal requirement.

The problem with opinion is alot of it is founded on thoughts and not on facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    It's easy to check the weather history of the area you are going to on the dates you are going. If snow and ice are not likely then you can safely ignore this rule.
    It is more to do with temperature than snow or ice, actually.

Strange that most manufacturers mention wet, icy and snow in their 'bumf' about winter tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    I agree Snowball, Here in the mid to south of the UK we have no real need for winter tyres and I have never fitted them to my own personal vehicles.

However, I would not go along with the 'They are only marginally better than a summer tyre'. In Eastern Europe where temperatures are almost always around -5 and -20 during winter, Ask someone why they have winter tyres and the reply is always something like " Either you have winter tyres or it is not possible to drive anywhere" and in those areas it is not a legal requirement.

The problem with opinion is alot of it is founded on thoughts and not on facts.
    I wonder are they meaning tyres with spikes...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    It is more to do with temperature than snow or ice, actually.
    Yes the 'winter tyre' sold in the UK is optimised for 7 degrees C. Therefore, at -20 they are not going to make a vast difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Strange that most manufacturers mention wet, icy and snow in their 'bumf' about winter tyres.
    It makes good advertising copy and it appeals to the public. Most motorists are not worried about cold but mention snow and ice...

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    I wonder are they meaning tyres with spikes...
    No not with Spikes, They would be ruined on the areas of cleared tarmac. Just winter tyres with rubber suited for lower temperatures and block type tread.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    Yes the 'winter tyre' sold in the UK is optimised for 7 degrees C. Therefore, at -20 they are not going to make a vast difference.
    Not true, They are optimised for +7 and below. If they were only better at exactly +7 they would be pretty useless.