Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Tyres and Germany

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    I call 25 mtr incredible, but then I have seen too many wild claims in motoring, I am sure you have.
    See for yourself!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-the-test.html

Oh yes, I have seen the film clip thanks... I have driven my sons Audi and been driven by him, as the car is on an Audi lease they change the tyres for winter, I feel the tyres are not 25 mtr different. The first year the tyres were changed, many of the drivers went out and promptly crashed or skidded off etc. All drive to use the extra grip, so in subsequent years the overall accident rate stayed about the same. They feel they are no better on packed snow, ice, or standing water.

I have driven cars and other vehicles in snow with both summer and winter tyres. I know my own preference!

If the Audi drivers just thought they could go out and drive at 110% because they had winter tyres then it was not the fault of the tyres!

Many countries enforce the use of winter tyres during the winter, Now this could be that they believe that there are less accidents with cars fitted with winter tyres or maybe it is all a conspiracy to sell winter tyres?

I have, on a number of occasions, seen cars become uncontrollable because of using the wrong tyres for the occasion. I have also managed to avoid being hit because i have been able to drive out of the way. I do not think it is rocket science to use tyres specific to the task in hand. In the same way, I see people driving like lunatics in snow/icy conditiions because they overrate their own, and their tyres abilities. They zoom past on dual carriageways, and I see them at the next roundabout scratching their heads wondering how they are going to get their car out of the field/hedgerow or wherever they have ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    I have driven cars and other vehicles in snow with both summer and winter tyres. I know my own preference!

If the Audi drivers just thought they could go out and drive at 110% because they had winter tyres then it was not the fault of the tyres!

Many countries enforce the use of winter tyres during the winter, Now this could be that they believe that there are less accidents with cars fitted with winter tyres or maybe it is all a conspiracy to sell winter tyres?
    The last I read, there was no significant difference in accident rates, probably caused by drivers just using the extra grip and therefore having nothing in reserve rather like ABS. Caution, this I think was a newspaper article, though it does sound about right. It also fits with the works Audi fleet experience refered to above.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I have, on a number of occasions, seen cars become uncontrollable because of using the wrong tyres for the occasion. I have also managed to avoid being hit because i have been able to drive out of the way. I do not think it is rocket science to use tyres specific to the task in hand. In the same way, I see people driving like lunatics in snow/icy conditiions because they overrate their own, and their tyres abilities. They zoom past on dual carriageways, and I see them at the next roundabout scratching their heads wondering how they are going to get their car out of the field/hedgerow or wherever they have ended up.
    An example of, understanding your vehicles, and your own limitations, and sticking within them, whatever tyres are fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    An example of, understanding your vehicles, and your own limitations, and sticking within them, whatever tyres are fitted.
    Best answer. Just a thought - if we had to change our tyres for winter, what if the 'fair weather tyres' are little worn? Would it be a case of either having the tyres changed and keeping them in storage, or a second set of wheels complete with winter tyres?
    In our climate, where would the deciding line be drawn? I can imagine all drivers intently checking the evening weather forcast, then dashing out to switch wheels ready for the next early morning rush. But the forecasters don't get it right every time and, in our little island, the weather could change from one extreme to the other in a single journey.

Example -one new year we were off to visit our daughter in Hampshire. We hit severe rain and floods in the Cotswolds, but our daughter in Hampshire was sitting out in warm sunshine!!!

Austria has a law saying winter tyres are to be fitted from November 1st to April the 15th; I am not sure about Germany. France says, in certain mountain regions there signs telling you winter tyres are required! (off the internet)
    The Audi leased cars are called in late Oct early Nov to have tyres and wheels changed, the tyre depot selected (by Audi leasing) store the wheels until required.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Just a thought - if we had to change our tyres for winter, what if the 'fair weather tyres' are little worn? Would it be a case of either having the tyres changed and keeping them in storage, or a second set of wheels complete with winter tyres?
    Places like Kwik Fit will change the tyres over and you can either store your summer tyres yourself or they have a 'tyre hotel' where they can store your other set of tyres.

Most of my friends in mainland Europe store their own tyres after having them removed from the wheels and the winter tyres fitted on.

In our climate, where would the deciding line be drawn? I can imagine all drivers intently checking the evening weather forcast, then dashing out to switch wheels ready for the next early morning rush. But the forecasters don't get it right every time and, in our little island, the weather could change from one extreme to the other in a single journey.
    Winter tyres should be used when it is likely that the temperature is going to be continually below 7 degrees and changed back to summer tyres when it is likely to be continually higher than 7 degrees.

Because of the weather here in Scotland, is a 9 month winter with a 3 month spring, I just leave my winter tyres on all year round?