Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Tyres and Germany

Default Winter Tyres and Germany

I am due to go mid Gemany around the middle of April. It appears that all vehicles must be fitted with winter tyres up until the end of April if there is snow, slush, or ice.
    It's going to be around 800 to get my vehicle fitted with decent branded tyres and the chances of snow/ice in the middle of April seem slim as I am not in any of the mountain regions. It's a one off trip and the chances of going again are small.

Just really after some thoughts and potential guidance

Thanks

The 'winter' tyres are not snow tyres, they are tyres designed to have optimum grip at lower temperatures (I think optimum is 7C) than normal tyres, they should offer greater grip in wet conditions. Would it be cheaper to hire a car in Germany?

Quote.........."It's going to be around 800 to get my vehicle fitted with decent branded tyres"

I don't think it would cost as much as that for 4 winter tyres, as there is no way I would pay 200 a tyre?

It is highly likely that there will be NO snow, slush or Ice in April in Germany. Do not worry about it.

It's easy to check the weather history of the area you are going to on the dates you are going. If snow and ice are not likely then you can safely ignore this rule.

You would be able to get a set of winter tyres for a lot less than that, most tyre places will give you a better deal on 4 or 5 than individual prices would suggest. (250 for a set of Michelin Alpins). Depending on how long you are going for, it could still be cheaper, as suggested, to hire as you would pay less to get there.
    I have seen snow in April there, on more than one occasion. (My birthday is in April, that's how I am sure of the time.)

The other thing to consider is that in the event you were involved in a non fault accident, You could end up not being paid out on the grounds of not having winter tyres fitted when legally required.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    It is highly likely that there will be NO snow, slush or Ice in April in Germany. Do not worry about it.
    The winter tyres are not specifically for snow or ice, they are designed to work (marginally) better in cold conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    The winter tyres are not specifically for snow or ice, they are designed to work (marginally) better in cold conditions.
    I think they work better by quite a large margin, The test result done by Auto Express and The Telegraph Motoring section shows they perform alot better in cold and winter conditions. I would call 25 metres reduce braking distance more than marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    I think they work better by quite a large margin, The test result done by Auto Express and The Telegraph Motoring section shows they perform alot better in cold and winter conditions. I would call 25 metres reduce braking distance more than marginal.
    I call 25 mtr incredible, but then I have seen too many wild claims in motoring, I am sure you have.