Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In Car Camera

Great. Please DON'T post a link to the website as we do not allow links to specific vendors or manufacturers.

I recently watched a TV programme that I had recorded, concerning the meteor strike in Russia.
    Apparently, because there are so many collision due to bad driving, a great number of Russian drivers have CCTV cameras in their vehicles. Many of these cameras picked up the fiery tragectory of the meteor so as to allow its origins to be back-tracked to where it came from.

Thought about these in car cameras myself. But wondered if anyone knows if the type that has a rear view monitor which replaces the OEM glass version is legal to use in the U.K. ?

Some cars now have reversing cameras, which I suppose could be the same thing?

I think it is Renault that use a camera instead of mirrors on their Z range. I know I have seen them on the road. I quite like the idea as with them instead of my 'Shrek Ear' mirrors, I would be able to get through a 6' 6" width barrier a lot easier.

Thanks for the "heads up" (no pun intended). Problem is that as you probably already know, all the after market in car camera systems are of Far East origin. The kit I'm thinking about has a small digital display of what's behind the vehicle set into the actual reflecting surface of the mirror, at least that's what it appears to be from photos of the device. Also it's not clear from any description I've read whether or not the device is permanently "live" or whether it comes into play when reverse gear is selected. If the former is true, then is it legal to use it as a driving aid? In the case of the latter, then presumably there would be no LCD display and the device could be used as a normal driving mirror.

I cant see why a camera covering the rear of the car can be illegal, after all, the forward facing ones are not. In fact, they are compulsory in government, and some hire cars in America.

I suppose then in that case, the system must be kept in good working order, (nothing much could go wrong with a standard mirror). If the rear camera was mounted externally on the number plate for example, then it would have to be kept clean. That wouldn't apply if the said camera was mounted internally. But in any case, would an electronic system come under the watchful eye of the VOSA MOT test?

Speaking of on board cameras, I saw on Top Gear recently, a car that has two cameras mounted in the front wings, so the driver can see both side views, before pulling out onto a main road.

Speaking as an ex biker, what a brilliant idea, particularly for cars with long bonnets. Will stop idiots pulling out of side turnings into path of oncoming traffic be it a cycle, motorcycle or other road user.