Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In Car Camera

For self-preservation, and on the basis that you are more in control of what's ahead of you than what's behind you, if cost necessitates only one camera, which is the best position - the view ahead or the view behind?

A good question. I decided on the basis that in almost all cases the car running into you from behind is going to be held liable.
    While you can see what is ahead most of the time, it is that unexpected incident that catches you out. If someone does run into the back of me, my driving immediately before the impact will be recorded plus any other cars, cyclists, pedestrians I have just passed will be on the camera.
    If you really dislike tailgaters and want to see them close up, then in the back window.

Sounds a good solution for a one-camera system to me, Hometune.

A bit off thread, but talking about rear impacts, today I was following a learner car and, just above the number plate on the rear tailgate, it had a professional-made warning notice which said, "Beware of sudden braking".
    To my mind, the only sudden braking would be practising an emergency stop, and the tutor (or examiner) would check that all was clear behind before ordering "STOP". So, why would such a notice be on a learner car, any more than any other car?
    Surely seeing a learner car with two people up front is warning enough that a little extra consideration should be given?

Sorry about side-tracking the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Sounds a good solution for a one-camera system to me, Hometune.

A bit off thread, but talking about rear impacts, today I was following a learner car and, just above the number plate on the rear tailgate, it had a professional-made warning notice which said, "Beware of sudden braking".
    To my mind, the only sudden braking would be practising an emergency stop, and the tutor (or examiner) would check that all was clear behind before ordering "STOP". So, why would such a notice be on a learner car, any more than any other car?
    Surely seeing a learner car with two people up front is warning enough that a little extra consideration should be given?

Sorry about side-tracking the thread.
    I think the wording is chosen to infer, 'get back you idiot can you not see the L plates'.
    Learners are prone to apply the brakes in unusual or unpredictable situations, this will, and does, catch out following motorists who are too close and on autopilot (asleep).

The favourite is the line of cars at traffic lights with the unfortunate learner at the front, Transit sat on the rear bumper. Lights change and Transit moves forward but the learner stalls. Abruptly. Followed by horn and much verbal abuse and arm waving.

Is the arm waving, the transit trying to fly over the learners car, I have always wondered about this.

Perhaps that's why some learner cars have reminder on the rear of the vehicle, "Remember, you were once a learner, too".

I think the most amusing caption I have seen on the back of a car is, "Unless you are a haemorroid, get off my backside".

You must lead a sheltered life Wagolynn. Up 'ere in Yorkshire men in Transits do manly things so the arm waving tends to show a hand making a diver's OK signal but moved rapidly vertically. Or something close. This is a family forum after all.

Just as an experiment I tried out the "pen camera" that my wife got me some time ago. I had in the V of a jumper I was wearing, it worked a treat!

The picture quality was great, considering its such a small camera, and best part is, no one knows its a camera.

Thanks for all your replies, I have also gone for a pen or bullet style camera, less conspicuous in the car and when I cycle too, got it from the website where I also get membership so any video I capture I can send to policewitness and they deal with the police, can't wait to get recording!