Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In Car Camera

Default In Car Camera

Hi everyone,

I am new on here, wanted some advice about getting an in-car camera that records as you drive. I wanted it to protect myself and my no claims and wondered if anyone had advice or experience using a camera?

THanks

edmunj

Just did a quick search on the Forum, and found a number of threads where this topic has come up before. i think generally that there was agreement that it could help in the event of a claim. There were, if i remember rightly, from those I read, a number of cameras which people recommended.

ok thank you for your help.

There are lots of these available now and the consensus is that yes they can help a great deal in the event of a collision.

http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/

I have the Blackvue camera system in my van. It has the park feature which means if anyone hits your car while you are shopping or away from the car, it will automatically record the event and store it.
    The other benefit is that it makes you drive better. It records your speed and shows your route on Google maps. It also records sound so if you start ranting at another driver it will be stored!

Quote...." It also records sound so if you start ranting at another driver it will be stored!"

Ah! well, in that case I would have to "mute" my one, if I had one, as I tend to get a tad upset at some of so called drivers we have here in Fife.

Just rember it records anything that happens including what you do so rember if you are in an incident and in the wrong it could be used against you in court it also becomes seizable evidence by the police and you can't refuse to give footage over.

Miss breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    I have the Blackvue camera system in my van. It has the park feature which means if anyone hits your car while you are shopping or away from the car, it will automatically record the event and store it.
    The other benefit is that it makes you drive better. It records your speed and shows your route on Google maps. It also records sound so if you start ranting at another driver it will be stored!
    That sounds a useful system, Hometune. Does it have more than one camera? I am thinking in terms of being sure to capture a "hit", regardless of which direction it comes from. Sounds as though it might be a priey bit of kit!

It is only one camera but it is quite expensive. The parking feature I wanted for my Sunday car when I am away from home. I bought an additional mounting which attaches to either the rear view mirror or the windscreen and an additional power lead which I have fitted behind the headlining and 'A' post trim covers so there is no wiring hanging around. So I can easily swap the camera from my van to my car in a few seconds.
    The camera is the 400 high definition at 259 (on offer with 10 off at the moment) inc postage. The extra lead costs 15.99 and the extra mount is 14.99 both include postage. You can probably find them cheaper than this if you search the internet but this is a UK address and the service has been excellent. Everything came the following day.
    My only disappointment is the picture when driving into a low sun. It becomes too washed out but by trial and error, pointing the camera a bit lower makes an improvement.
    I do find though that being aware of its presence makes me check the speedo more often, read ahead further up the road and take more notice of what is happening so I suppose it is a good thing.
    And I live very near a high risk area for 'cash for crash' scams. Having had 2 drivers attempt this on me in Dewsbury plus the sudden appearance of half a dozen friends and cousins of these drivers at the scene, thought it was time to have an independent witness.
    Last edited by Hometune; 31-01-13 at 14:05.

thanks for all your help, i have a discount voucher for a company featured in our local paper who have secured a dangerous driving conviction using an in-car camera, they sell their own, dogcam and roadhawk I think, I might buy from them as the membership is then included if you do want to go through the police they do it themselves, too pricey without a code but will shop around first and then maybe use the code and buy from them, be good to have membership where they deal with the police etc!