Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai i800

Default Hyundai i800

I purchased this vehicle 2 years ago to use as a work and personal vehicle..everything was great for the first 50k miles but then the problems started firstly the Turbo blew and after a lengthy arguement with Hyundai they refused on some technicality to repair it. It had been serviced at a vat registered garage using genuine parts but they still refused. The steering wheel also has peeled and the brake calipers have ceased on 3 times. It has since had another new turbo! I have also had to replace the drivers electric window mechanism! Now after only 102,000 miles the crank in the engine has snapped, and guess what Hyundai dont want to now! Since the engine has blown and through my own research i am not exclusive i have found 4 others who's engines have blown and when you speak to the engine suppliers and specislist rebuilders they say quite a few cranks on the Hyundai/Kia's have snapped. I am currently upto and in excess of 6000 in repair bills...has anyone else suffered any problems with these vehicles....?

Welcome to the site Jimmy, you said...."Now after only 102,000 miles" before things start going wrong like that, I would have sold it or traded it in, before the repair costs became too much to make it viable to keep it?

Personally, I go for cars by the mileage, rather than the age of it, in fact I did that with our present car, good luck

I'm wondering if the turbo going put some bearing debris into the engine oil which should have been changed when the new turbo was fitted caused the engine crank to fail if this is the case then who ever fitted the turbo could be held liable.

Miss breakdown

Everything was done accordingly, engine flushed new oils filters, there is a problem with these engines! Ideal engines was quoted as saying yeah the cranks all snap!! Researching further the newest model I800 comes now in an auto and manual however the manual has had its bhp reduced from 170 to 134!!! WHY????? The Autobox still comes with 170 BHP!!!!!!??? WHY.
    There has recently been 2 I800's on ebay one done 60k on a 12 plate with a seized engine....!!! and a 60 plate done 12k with a seized engine!! Why are these not under warranty 5 years 100k.....!!!? Something doesnt stack up here!!

I have been interested by the competitive pricing of Hyundai and they appear attractive buys. However, I seem to be reading about so many problems that I think I'll cross them off the list. Sorry about your poor experience but , at least, by sharing others can learn.

What about the SEVEN year warranty?

I have been told - though not personally studied the warranty - that there are significant exclusions and expensive conditions. In any case, even though something might be covered do not want the inconvenience. It is attractive but what happens to value when the seven years is disappearing and then gone ?

I think the 7 year warranty is a great thing, even though I think there might be rules to go along with it, that have to be adhered to.

No other car company offers such a warranty, so they must have confidence in their cars reliability.

I love this forum. Yes, I think I was wrong, thanks for your posts, and further research has been very positive about Hyundai. As I've put on some previous posts I am interested in four door automatics. Do you know anything about Hyundai automatics systems that might influence a buying choice ? I'm in no rush to buy and really want to make my next buy as near as possible perfect for my needs.

I have 58 reg I800 had at 9K miles now 50K. My turbo went at 45K, turbo and all additional filters and oil replaced under warranty. End of 5 year warranty due in a couple of months. After reading of problems going to trade ASAP!