Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken lock nut on wheel changeover

Default Broken lock nut on wheel changeover

Hi all,

I have a slight (which is actually turning out to be quite major) issue whereby the locking wheel nut key for my Peugeot 207 is damaged and is therefore unable to grip the nut. The car is currently at work with a flat tyre, which I have no hope of changing over myself as the locking nut is fixed in place.

I have basic assistance and I know that RAC patrols carry equipment to remove lug nuts. Will I be covered for them to remove the nut for me to allow me to change over the wheel?

Also is there any official presence on this forum to confirm the answer to my question in case I have any issue when it comes to the call out?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by walshy252; 22-01-13 at 13:25.

Not an 'official' answer, but I suspect that the RAC will not view this as a breakdown as they define it. Why not call them and ask?

The car is immovable due to the flat tyre which I am not able to change over due to the lost lock nut key. Since I am not able to move the car safely surely that counts as a breakdown.

I'm on the move at the moment and will call them when I have access to a landline, just thought I'd post on here first and get some advice

Yes we would attend and try to remove the locking wheel nut you should be asked to sign a disclaimer as the removal would destroy the nut on the car.

Hope this helps

Miss breakdown

My car has a locking nut on each wheel, and I don't have the spanner to remove it? I'm not too bothered really, as it doesn't have a spare wheel either?

That makes me feel a bit insecure, in fact its the first time I've had a car without a spare, so the wheel spider that I have, seems pointless now
    ?

A tyre shop we used in the '80s had a selection of wheel nut 'keys' which they had accumulated over the years. Most of them they had bought from manufacturers, either vehicle or aftermarket sets. I would think it possible to get hold of a replacement key.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by walshy252 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a slight (which is actually turning out to be quite major) issue whereby the locking wheel nut key for my Peugeot 207 is damaged and is therefore unable to grip the nut. The car is currently at work with a flat tyre, which I have no hope of changing over myself as the locking nut is fixed in place.

I have basic assistance and I know that RAC patrols carry equipment to remove lug nuts. Will I be covered for them to remove the nut for me to allow me to change over the wheel?

Also is there any official presence on this forum to confirm the answer to my question in case I have any issue when it comes to the call out?

Many thanks!
    Go to a peugeot dealer and ask them to remove the locking nuts for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Go to a peugeot dealer and ask them to remove the locking nuts for you.
    .....and pay an hour's labour at 70+vat. Yes, that is a good idea......

Walshy252,

You need to get this fixed now, before you have a breakdown in the snow on the motorway.

Go to a good garage and ask for their advice and help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Walshy252,.

Go to a good garage and ask for their advice and help.
    Dennis, why do you insist on not reading what people say? The car has a flat tyre at work. He cannot drive it. 1. It is illegal and 2. it is dangerous.

Miss Breakdown's answer is the correct one. Try reading it.