Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance in europe

Default Insurance in europe

Hi all,
    Just a reminder to all those people taking their cars over the water into Europe,
    DON'T forget to take out the "EXTENDED FOREIGN USE" insurance as your fully comp insurance here in the UK is worth less than third party over there and if you have a bang you could be in deep s**t and could cost you a fortune getting home again.

Good reminder Rick, but it depends on the terms of your particular insurance. Mine covers me fully throughout the EEC and some other countries like Switzerland.

You should make sure that you have the appropriate multi-language accident form with you and be sure to take plenty of photographs if you are involved in an incident.

oh yes,
    be sure to do that,
    I am with Churchills insurance and have to buy mine separate if i go abroad, they say they cover you for 90 days if you go to Europe but it is less than third party, Greedy ba****s, owt to get out of paying.

All insurances companies are the same when it comes to paying out.

Its just a pity that there isn't a league table of the best insurance companies for dealing with, and paying out on claims.

That way, we the customers would know where to go to buy our insurance.

yes like these insurance companies have just been spouting " women have got to pay another 40% insurance" what they should have said is " men's insurance coming down to the same level as women" that might have been fairer,
    but we all know they are nothing but a set of greedy crooks.

Pure greed in this country, In this country 3rd party cost more than comprehensive. In Russia the compulsory 3rd party insurance is cheap and the price is fixed so you don't even have to shop around for the lowest price, As it will be the same price everywhere you go.

Hi MrDanno,

very true, but how do they get insurance after watching videos on " Stopnagoni.RU " a Russian site i look at, it's a bit like u-tube,
    it's a wonder there is anyone left alive to drive over there, pure breed maniacs.
    Rick

Aye! when I was working in Baku, I had a 15 mile drive to the site, and it was interesting to say the least.

The worst time was when it was dark, as they only put them on a few seconds before you "hit them"?

Its the same when its raining, they use the one wiper, which they take off when its not required and store it in the car?

My father, who was an Army officer stationed in India after independence related this story:

One evening, after a reception, he and two junior officers decided to drive back to where they were staying. They were all the worse for wear and one unlucky lieutenant was deemed to be the least drunk and told to drive. At some point the car left the road and ended up in a ditch and it was fortunate that no one was injured.

A pair of Gurkha NCO's appeared and helped them get the car back on the road and then, to the surprise of all, asked for a lift.

I've just come back from Russia, The only thing I noticed Smudger was alot of them put their wipers up when they park for the night to stop them freezing to the screen.

and I saw a few that just stamped on the brakes and slid to a halt but, In general was not that bad.