Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 24 Hours to get home after RAC left us to beg help from strangers

I trust that you have spoken with our Customer Care department about the matter? If not, dont worry, I will obtain your contact details and ask that the matter be investigated. Whilst we need to listen to your call to ascertain the content of the discussion, may I point out at this stage that your policy is for mechanical breakdowns only and does not cover you if you have driven through water that has caused your vehicle to break down. This is usually a matter for your motor insurer. However, we appreciate that this can be stressful when you are stranded at the roadside. Therefore we would usually refer you to one of our collegaues in our Accident Care team who will discuss the various options available to you. If you dont intend to make an insurance claim, we can provide assistance for a small charge. I am surprised that you were not offered these options. Please rest assured we will contact you directly once our investigation is complete.
    regards
    Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Operations Exec View Post
    I trust that you have spoken with our Customer Care department about the matter? If not, dont worry, I will obtain your contact details and ask that the matter be investigated. Whilst we need to listen to your call to ascertain the content of the discussion, may I point out at this stage that your policy is for mechanical breakdowns only and does not cover you if you have driven through water that has caused your vehicle to break down. This is usually a matter for your motor insurer. However, we appreciate that this can be stressful when you are stranded at the roadside. Therefore we would usually refer you to one of our collegaues in our Accident Care team who will discuss the various options available to you. If you dont intend to make an insurance claim, we can provide assistance for a small charge. I am surprised that you were not offered these options. Please rest assured we will contact you directly once our investigation is complete.
    regards
    Angela
    Everyone should note the part in red

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Everyone should note the part in red
    What a ridiculous and appalling statement by a member of the (so-called) Customer Care department of an organisation such as this.
    In effect this is saying that if you are driving your car and it happens to rain and your car cuts out, then tough? So what do the RAC do when Minis (not the BMW ones) cut out because the distributor and electrics are at the front and are prone to water damage? And, do you have to ensure you never drive through a puddle if it is more than 0.0005 of a millimetre deep? How can a call centre handler decide if the customer has driven across a flooded road that is 2 feet deep without actually being there?

As for the tone of this response including the use of the words "I trust" and "may I point out" before any investigation has taken place, is extremely poor and smacks of "how dare you rubbish my company". Someone needs to sit down with the office staff and retrain them in customer service.

Oh, and what will happen to the call handler if it is found to have been a mechanical breakdown and the car was not taken for a swimming lesson in the nearest river? This company is definitely struggling if this is all true.

Hometune
    Sorry I didnt mean to cause any offence. We will of course be conducting a full investigation. However, I felt it was important in the interim to point out the terms of the policy.
    You have no control over falling rain water and if this causes your vehicle to cut out then we will of course attend. I actually said you are not covered if you "drive through" water that causes your vehicle to break down, as this is the choice of the driver and may be avoidable. As you have stated, different cars are affected in different ways, the driver should be aware of the depth of the water and the affect this may have on their vehicle before they proceed to drive through it and take responsibility for their actions.
    Angela

Operations Exec.
    I think the terms and conditions should clearly state, "the vehicle will not be covered if driven through a flood", if this is what you actually intended. Your response suggests the terms and conditions are intentionally ambiguous to enable the service to be withdrawn in any water related breakdown. Alternatively, your advertising could say something to the effect, breakdown cover (providing it is not raining).

Quote Originally Posted by Operations Exec View Post
    Hometune
    I actually said you are not covered if you "drive through" water that causes your vehicle to break down, as this is the choice of the driver and may be avoidable.
    Angela
    Absolutely agree on this part. Having watched lots of news reports recently and seeing some amazingly stupid drivers going through water around 2 feet deep, they deserve all they get and no breakdown assistance either.
    However, if the story posted here is accurate then heavy rain must not be an excuse to not attend. It is the UK after all!

Lets face it,its like all insurances until you need to use it

As ever the devil is in the detail it would appear! They advertise themselves as the 4th Emergency Service but that service is certainly conditional and as the original poster has found out they have no compassion for your situation despite your loyalty over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin DB7 View Post
    As ever the devil is in the detail it would appear! They advertise themselves as the 4th Emergency Service
    They don't. The AA used to, many years ago.

We have responded to our customer directly off line. But I also wanted the opportunity to clarify the situation.
    The information we were given was that whilst travelling along the A66 at approx 50-60mph standing water was found to be blocking the lane ahead. It was felt that this could not be avoided as it was too dangerous to either brake or change lanes. Having driven through the water the vehicle ground to a halt, ignition lights and other warning lights were illuminated on the dashboard and the battery was dead. The battery was fine earlier that day and the problem had been caused by the intake of water. Having waited for approximately 30 minutes for the vehicle to dry out, RAC were called as it still would not start. We were not made aware of the age of the persons travelling or informed that children were on board.
    An RAC breakdown policy does not currently cover our attendance if the vehicle has been driven through water and as a direct result this has caused the vehicle to break down.
    We can offer the services of our Accident Care department, who will arrange attendance in the event of an insurance claim being made. Or we may offer to provide assistance on a pay-on-use basis.
    Hope this helps to clarify things.
    Angela