Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drivers may be able to opt out of ‘13’ number plates.

Default Drivers may be able to opt out of ‘13’ number plates.

As we head into 2013 some drivers have been questioning whether they want ‘13’ on their number plates when new ones are issued in March – some of the most superstitious potential car buyers have complained to the DVLA, stating that they should have the right to opt out of the change.

The DVLA have revealed that motorists will be able to register cars bought after 1st March 2013, when the new number plates will come into circulation, as 62 plates, the same as those registered after September 2012. This system would be eligible until September 2013 when the next registration begins (the ‘63’ plate). CAP, the vehicle data company has contradicted the DVLAs plans saying drivers will not have a choice over which registration plate they have.

The Vehicle Remarketing Association (VRA) has backed proposals saying that the DVLA has offered the right option for superstitious motorists. A representative of VRA said: “This is great for those who regard the number 13 as unlucky but it could cause a challenge for the used car market. Those picking up on the anomaly will value the car correctly, but those who don’t may offer drivers considerably less for the car than it is worth just based on the registration plate.”

Some people may think this is an overreaction but the fear of the number 13 is well documented and is known as ‘Triskaidekaphobia’. For those that wish to avoid having 13 on their number plate the other alternative is to buy a personalised / private plate which could cost upwards of £250.

The VRA are worried that reverting to a previous plate could prove detrimental when selling the car in future - it could make the car appear to be older than it is. However, the DVLA are concerned of the impact refusing to allow customers to change their plates could have on new car sales. A similar situation was witnessed in Afghanistan which saw a significant drop in sales that year – not ideal for UK dealers.

Do you think customers should be able to get a ‘62’ plate instead of a ‘13’ plate if they wish?
    To read the full story click here.

Is there any precedent for this?

I knew it, the U.K. is just not an educated, intelligent place, despite claims to the contrary. Superstition is just what the word says and no more. If our so-called educated population will not buy a car because it has the number 13 in the registration, then we really are in trouble.

Presumably if they saw they had 13 in the tyre size then they would change them too? Or the chassis number? Or the engine number? Oh dear.....

In case you are wondering why there are idiots out there who "believe" this nonsense, this link makes some light educational reading.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_13_an_unlucky_number

So, unless you are going to the gallows (13 steps), joining a witches coven (12 + the devil) or having your last meal with your "friends" (12 of them), then isn't it about time we moved on?

I am with you Hometune, I am immune to evil, I have my rabbit’s foot...

Presumably if they saw they had 13 in the tyre size then they would change them too? Or the chassis number? Or the engine number? Oh dear.....
    That is great ... where do we stop!

Geez! if its going to worry them that much, why not just buy the car before or after that date. After all, its only going to be 13 for six months, then it goes to 63, surely six months isn't going to make that much time difference when buying a new car

There is a precedent for omitting some combinations on registration number plates. No NBG, NFG amongst others.
    Personally, being evil anyway, I don't need a '13' plate, so I don't care.

Is there really a place for superstition in the 21st century?

Quote Originally Posted by WRX._.GTi View Post
    That is great ... where do we stop!
    Outside 13 Acacia Avenue?

Tee, Hee! The first of March 2013 is on a Friday, so the '13-plate' will become current on a FRIDAY!Their are thousands of houses with the No. 13 as the start of their address, and '13' has to occur in loads of numerical sequences where the registraion of people is concerned. If someone bought a winning Lucky-Dip Lottery ticket that had '13' for one of its numbers, would they decline to cash in, in case of bad luck? You bet they wouldn't!

I have always thought that superstition about 13 is like believing in accidents...