Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speeding Fine / Speed Awareness Course

Default Speeding Fine / Speed Awareness Course

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody can help.

I recently received a speeding fine for doing 41 mph in a 30 zone.

I acknowledge this was me, however, up until now I have a clean licence and the road I have been caught speeding on isn't clearly sign posted at all and I was always of the impression this road was a 40. After asking a number of friends and work colleagues, it appears I'm not the only one who was under the impression this road was a 40, it seems to be a commonly held view.

My first question is, when returning my conditional of fixed penalty letter, can I include a covering letter explaining the circumstances and request the speed awareness course instead of the 3 points?

Also, it says I need to enclose my driving licence. I'm a bit confused about this one, do I need to send them my actual driving licence or will a copy of it suffice?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

A copy will NOT suffice.

Thanks for that, I'll make sure I don't make that mistake then!

How do you think I'd get on with sending a covering letter requesting the speed awareness course instead of the three points?

Cheers.

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by AG0607 View Post
    Thanks for that, I'll make sure I don't make that mistake then!

How do you think I'd get on with sending a covering letter requesting the speed awareness course instead of the three points?

Cheers.

Andy.
    You cannot request a speed awareness course, the CPS are the only ones who will decide and then only if the speed you were caught at falls within their guidelines which varies from force to force.

In my area it is only offered to those who were unfortunate enough to be caught at between 3 and 8 MPH over the limit in other areas it is up to 10MPH and others 12 MPH

And as stated you must send in your original licence as you are sending it in with a view to it being endorsed and they cannot do that on a duplicate.

Welcome to the site AG, you said, Quote..."I have been caught speeding on isn't clearly sign posted at all"

It doesn't really matter what you write or try to explain to them, or any reasons for the speeding, they will not listen, all they want is your £60 fine and the points on your license?

I got done way back in 2000, and they were not interested in any excuses or reasons, and I was treated like a bin full of rubbish, its not worth the hassle, good luck

PS. Year later, when the time was up,they (DVLA) wanted more money to remove the points from my license, so I just left them there, as I thought I had already paid enough.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess I'll just have to accept the points then, it's very annoying but there's not a fat lot I can do about it!

Does anybody have any idea how long it usually takes for the driving licence to be returned after it has been sent off?

Cheers.

I think mine took 10 days, but that was back in 2000.

I see no reason at all why you shouldn't add a covering letter. You would need a better reason than " I was always of the impression this road was a 40" though. That implies due care and attention as well as speeding.

At 11mph, or 30%, over the limit I think that you are unlikely to get the offer, but you can but hope.

If the speed limit is not signed, then it may be worth contesting in Court. However, you would need to check signage and take photos. As stated above, the 'impression' of a different limit will not be accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    If the speed limit is not signed, then it may be worth contesting in Court. However, you would need to check signage and take photos. As stated above, the 'impression' of a different limit will not be accepted.
    The absence of signs in the presence of street lights is no defence. In my home town there was a main road without 30 limit signs but with the required lighting. One day the police set up a trap and caught any number of speeders. There was quite an uproar in the local paper but to no avail.

Section 82(1)(a) (of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (RTRA 1984)) defines a restricted road in England and Wales as a road which is provided with “a system of street lighting furnished by means of lamps placed not more than 200 yards apart”. Section 81 specifically makes it an offence for a person to drive a motor vehicle at a speed of more than 30 mph on a restricted road.
    As set out in paragraph 45, it is generally recognised that a ‘system’ of street lighting could be three or more lamps spaced not more than 183 metres apart. However, street lighting (for the purposes of determining whether or not a road is a restricted) is not necessarily limited to street lamps, but may extend to lighting provided by authorities or parish councils.
    This means it should be assumed that, unless an order has been made and the road is signed to the contrary, a 30 mph speed limit applies where there are three or more lamps throwing light on the carriageway and placed not more than 183 metres apart.
    From the Highway Code:
    Unless you see signs showing otherwise, a limit of 30 miles per hour (mph) or 48 kilometres per hour (km/h) usually applies to all traffic on all roads with street lighting.