Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Competition: Your winter car prep tips

Make sure maintenance is up to date. Make sure mobile has record of phone numbers for insurance helpline and RAC/your rescue service.

Quote........"Make sure mobile has record of phone numbers for insurance helpline and RAC/your rescue service."

I keep all the numbers like that on a piece of paper, tucked in behind the tax disc.

I just read about these http://www.autosockdirect.co.uk/?width=205&wall=&rim= They look like a sound investment for 45

Check your SPARE wheel, particularly if you will be travelling on one of the bank holidays. You may have difficulty finding a tyre depot or garage able or open to replace a tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I just read about these http://www.autosockdirect.co.uk/?width=205&wall=&rim= They look like a sound investment for 45
    Front wheels only would be very risky, with the fronts gripping and the rears slipping there would be no directional stability. I am not sure they would be legal in the UK.

Make sure in winter, you take plenty of food and fluids, maybe 2 or 3 flasks of hot soup/coffee. This will be needed if you become stranded in harsh wintery conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    Front wheels only would be very risky, with the fronts gripping and the rears slipping there would be no directional stability. I am not sure they would be legal in the UK.
    I disagree - The objective is to get enough traction to get yourself off the compacted snow and on to a gritted road. Speed would be kept to a minimum especially when cornering so the loss of grip at the rear would make little difference. If I lived in the North, and needed to go out in such weather, I would certainly buy a pair.

I lived in the north and was persuaded to put chains on the front of a real mini; never again, it was a death trap. Chains on all four wheels were OK but felt awful. I also drove rear wheel drive vehicles and preferred not to use chains. I never used chains again and frequently went up on the moors in winter. All it needed was an understanding of the vehicle, and what it was telling me, along with dancing feet not diving boots.
    Last edited by wagolynn; 02-12-12 at 16:31.

Its a good idea to get your battery checked out. The Cold & Dark put an extra load on the battery during the winter and a cold frosty snap will finish it off if its not up to standard.... I learnt the hard way !

Also we use a lot more electrical things in the winter time, heated rear window & mirrors, fan blower on the heater, head lights & fog lights, all that can put a strain on the battery.

As for the grip thing with winter driving, I used to drive up & down the A9 in the winter, and the amount of drivers who simply could not handle it was really frustrating! I was always glad to get passed them, as they had no idea of how to handle a skid or a rear end slide out.