Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition: Your winter car prep tips

The messages above give some great tips. I always make sure I have plenty of de-icer, a scraper and a demister in my car. I also have had a pair of wellies and a blanket in the boot since I got stuck in heavy snowfall once - and my window fell down! (Make sure you always carry your phone, are registered with the RAC or a similar company and have their details on your phone just in case!!!)

Lightbulb

It is worth buying an RAC Emergency Kit and then supplementing it with winter essentials depending on which region of the country you are travelling in. A folding shovel at least, a full sized military trenching tool if you have the space. And always carry a tow rope in case of emergency.

Also. Get a long handled brush/ice scraper to remove snow from ALL the windows to give you good visibility.
    Last edited by Dennis W; 24-11-12 at 11:04.

Lightbulb

To prevent the rubber in the door seals sticking when icy, you can buy special sprays from motor accessory shops. However you can use Vaseline as a low cost alternative.

Really a lot depends on which County or region you live in. Look at the contrast between the coastal towns and cities of Lancashire, such as Blackpool and Southport, they very rarely get snow. But travel to the east of Lancashire and you are in the Pennines. So, be aware of the conditions of where you are travelling to.

I would add, that in the event of snow, clean it off the roof. I have seen too many cars brake for traffic lights etc, only to have their windscreen wipers taken out by a mass of snow sliding off the roof down the windscreen. It also seems to cause people to brake rather sharply for some reason!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    To prevent the rubber in the door seals sticking when icy, you can buy special sprays from motor accessory shops. However you can use Vaseline as a low cost alternative.

Really a lot depends on which County or region you live in. Look at the contrast between the coastal towns and cities of Lancashire, such as Blackpool and Southport, they very rarely get snow. But travel to the east of Lancashire and you are in the Pennines. So, be aware of the conditions of where you are travelling to.
    Vegetable cooking oil (rapeseed, sunflower, etc.) would be kinder if the seals have any natural rubber in them.
    Last edited by wagolynn; 24-11-12 at 15:57.

As well as the other great tips already suggested, I like to carry a flask with boiling water and a couple of sachets of coffee/tea bags. If you are stuck waiting for assistance, you cant beat a hot cuppa!

Interesting that nobody but me even suggests fitting winter tyres.

The return on fitting winter tyres does not equate with the cost, and practical difficulties. In practice, drivers with winter tyres fitted drive to the limits of their tyres therefore there is little safety benefit from them.

I drove through the last two winters with semi-slick type tyres, and did not have any problems. I believe that those I saw with probllems were wither running on ultra-low profiles or driving like idiots. I do not decry the use of winter tyres, but I kind of agree with Wagolynn that there could be an element of giving a false sense of security.

As to using anything on rubbers to keep them supple, I have always used natural gelatin all year round. I use it on wiper blades, window rubbers, door rubbers and drive belts. It only keeps natural rubber supple, but also keeps doors from freezing shut.

The most important thing to do is Check your tyres before your first trip of the day, check pressures, tread depth and sidewall condition. I always fit winter tyres and drive to the conditions not to the limits of the tyres. I also get a service in October before the cold sets in!
    Last edited by Norris53; 30-11-12 at 15:52.