Thread: Nissan micra ticks over ok, will not accelerate. please help.

Default Nissan micra ticks over ok, will not accelerate. please help.

Nissan Micra Sport
    1.0 litre

Right i unfortunately drive a nissan micra which unfortunately for the immediate future cannot be changed. Problems started 6 months ago when i attempted to start the car and it seemed the battery was flat.

However my dad solved the problem it was just that the battery terminal was loose. Up until that point the engine management light had always been on for approx 4 years but came back on a few days later.

However when i would start to drive the car after it has stood for a few hours it would kangaroo, struggle to be driven until a certain point when all of a sudden i would be able to accelerate properly, leaving the car to idle for 5 mins before setting off seemed to lessen the issue as would turning the engine off whilst moving then restarting the engine.

As well as this issue. the car would also slow down whilst being driven with no notice at random intervals almost as though i dropped down a gear.

Yesterday my car was hooked up to a diagnostic computer which revealed one issue;

P0171 fuel sys-lean bk1

The guy said that this was a fuel problem and suggested fitting a new lambda sensor on the exhaust manifold. Immediately after the test my car is no longer drivable and just kangaroo's.

Today my dad fitted the new lambda and nothing has changed and my car is still not drivable.

The car ticks over ok but does not rev high when the accelerator is pressed down. However when the air filter is taken out and the air inlet is partly covered by hand the car revved ok, but the tick over was compromised.

My dad knows his way around a car but has ran out of ideas, he's changed the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, and lambda so far please help if you can.
    Last edited by geefunk; 09-11-12 at 18:44. Reason: typo

Sounds like a failing combined air flow and throttle unit. A good auto electrician or if you have the skill, can remove the black plastic cover and resolder the joints. This usually cures the problem or simply fit a second hand unit.
    Last edited by Hometune; 10-11-12 at 14:17.

cheers for the reply. Someone on another forum suggested disconnecting the maf which has worked a treat, although im not sure of the implications .

If it runs okay disconnected then maybe leave it for now. The engine computer substitutes a set value somewhere around the middle so it wont be too far out. This does prove the unit has a faulty circuit.

i recently had exact same problem .i bought a new air flow meter off ebay for 15 pound instead of new throttle body from dealer at 400ish.it solved the prob .the only prob i had was removing screws as they are a 5 point security torq bit usual torq bits are 6 point .i removed them with a chisel and hammer a bit uncouth i know but i got them off without any damage.