Thread: Direct Line Ignorance on Tyre Issue

Default Direct Line Ignorance on Tyre Issue

My son recently ran over debris thrown on to his carriageway by a major accident on the M1. His car was damaged by the stones etc thrown over the carriageway from the other side. He reported the accident to the police and was given an incident number. He noticed the following day that 2 of the tyres had partially deflated. The bodywork was repaired but Direct Line have said that the repairers inflated the 2 tyres and they have stayed up so they are ok to drive on. I have told him not to accept the car back as something must have caused the tyres to deflate. We have reached an impasse with Direct Line as both sides have different positions on the roadworthiness of these two tyres. Any advice?

I am not 'having a go', but why should they not be roadworthy? They appear to have run over a few stones. Does your son check his tyre pressures on a regular basis? The only answer I can see would be to take the tyres to a decent tyre man and have them removed from the wheels and checked.

I agree with Rolebama, Take them somewhere that they can check them for punctures but, Even if they have been punctured you'll have a difficult job proving it was caused by the accident.

Tyres are a very difficult area with insurance, If they do decide they were punctured by the incident. You will still have to pay a percentage towards their replacement. depending on how much tread your current tyres have on them. If the tread is 50% worn you'll only get 50% of the cost of a new tyre from them .

Many thanks for the replies. The car is actually mine and I check the pressures weekly. The front tyre was only reading 16psi instead of 32psi, the rear a bit higher. My son was unfortunate to be involved in someone else's accident and it seems that I will have to shell out for the new tyres. My bad luck I suppose as I have spoken to a tyre "expert and it would appear that the cost of a proper test on the tyres runs into the £hundreds. Son was in the wrong place at the wrong time, I'm just relieved that the deflations he suffered weren't instant, as the consequences at 70mph could have been serious. Thanks again for the interest.