Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Competition - Getting Your Car Ready for an MOT

Hi if the car is regularly serviced at a reliable garage, then you should only have to check wearing items like, tyres, lights, screen wash. Cars should be maintained at all times to be roadworthy!!! A car should pass the MOT at any time through the year not just at MOT time.

Hi all,
    It helps to have the car serviced before taking for mot and as said before by other members taking car to a council run mot centre is a good idea as they do not do repairs so don't need to look for work when mot, ing your car,
    check ALL lights on the car look for oil leaks as these will fail on mot,
    THINK while driving "does my car feel right," as you drive it every day you get used to wear & tear and might not think there is anything wrong but if someone else drove it they might think it's a death trap, do the brakes feel right, does the steering feel right, is the exhaust blowing, even a little bit will fail the test,
    does it smoke when you are driving about, get it fixed,
    and good luck to you all and have a fault free mot.

check the bulbs in headlights etc

make sure headlights are aligned, battery held down properly, plenty of rubber on tires and are tracked up properly, do indicators flash at the correct speed, if your spare tire is hung underneath the car has it got the legal amount of tread left on it.

Book your MOT for 28 days before your current MOT expires. that way, if it should fail, you can still drive the car, and have time for repairs before re-testing.
    If you had any 'notes' on your previous MOT, make sure these faults have been remedies before Test time.

I drive an Audi and if you have your car serviced by a main dealer you get a free MOT on it's next due date. You even get the car washed as part of the deal. You have to be careful to make sure that you check everything that falls within the ability of a 'home mechanic' as listed in wagolynn's thread above and I always make sure that even silly things like the windscreen washer bottle is full partly because you'll getb charged a ridiculous price for a screen washer refill. I moaned about this at a Volkswagen dealers once and they said that they had to top up the bottle as the level had dropped when they checked the system to see if it was working correctly, what a rip off, they did however leve several screen washer refills on the passenger seat and knocked the price of the refill off the bill. A small victory but very satisfying.

make sure there are no fault lights showing on the dash as that is a failure,
    make sure no ragged edges on body work, number plate has no cracks in it or will fail,
    windscreen has no cracks or chips in front of drivers visual area.
    make sure all fluid levels are up to the full mark.

Quote Originally Posted by rick45 View Post
    make sure headlights are aligned, battery held down properly, plenty of rubber on tires and are tracked up properly, do indicators flash at the correct speed, if your spare tire is hung underneath the car has it got the legal amount of tread left on it.
    The Spare wheel/tyre is not a testable item. It could be bald and at the most you should only get an advisory for it.

Get it tested at a council test site, they have no incentive to fail it as they only do tests.

Hi Mrdanno,
    Sorry i thought i heard these new changes to the mot brought the spare tire into account, if not i stand corrected.
    rick.