Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Competition - Getting Your Car Ready for an MOT

Default Competition - Getting Your Car Ready for an MOT

This month on the RAC Forum we’d like your tips for getting your car prepared for an MOT!

What pre-checks do you recommend doing? How would you choose a garage? And what else would you do to make an MOT as painless as possible?

Everyone who posts a tip will be entered into a prize draw with a chance to win one of twenty tyre pressure gauges! You can see the prize by clicking here.

The competition will close at midnight on October 31st 2012. You can read the full T & C’s here.

Having just had our car MOTd, this is fresh on my mind.

I used the same local garage, that we have used since moving to this area..
    I checked all the lights and electrical stuff myself before I put it in.
    I knew the tyres were OK, fairly new.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Choose someone based on recommendations from someone you know dont just use the first one you see

Check windscreen wipers work properly.

local council run MOT test sites are often a better bet as they have no incentive to fail your car, if you car is quite new or you're pretty confident that the car will pass, this is a good way to save a few quid

Go over car tyres lights wipers before the test
    Chose a garage that non profit ie local council run
    Wash it before hand

Check all lights work.
    Check tyres are legal and no bumps or cuts in side walls, are all wheel nuts on?
    Check windscreen wipers wipe, if they leave watery arcs on the screen replace them (normal life is not much more than a year).
    Check lights all round replace any failed bulbs or get light working, don’t forget the brake lights.
    Check brakes, does hand/parking brake hold the vehicle, car should stop straight on a level road if hands are taken off steering wheel while braking both foot and hand brake. Is friction material (pads and shoes) within manufacturer’s minimum thickness? If the ABS light is on get the problem fixed.
    Any slack in the steering, if so look for worn joints in suspension and steering.
    Rust holes in body and under car can lead to a failure.
    If fuel consumption has not changed then emissions are likely to be OK, if not, is it time it was serviced/diagnosed?

As a non mechanic, I take my car to a garage I trust. They inspect it and phone me with the report and then they do any work necessary. All I do is make an effort to give them a clean and tidy car to work on.

Of course, if I WERE a mechanic with a workshop, then I would do as Wagolynn says.

fasten all seatbelts before mot.
    leave wheel trim lock nut on passanger seat.

We use a regular garage that we trust. We do pre checks on tyres, wipers, oil, bulbs and seat belts. We leave wheel lock nut and special tools in bag on seat.