Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car park accident: are they at fault

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Even this isn't foolproof, since a severe storm could demolish the garage, and the vehicle along with it.
    That is why they charge more if you say you'll keep it in a garage

Joking aside, I knew a man many years ago who kept his pride and joy in his garage. During one hot summer a can of paint stripper that was on the shelf in his garage burst and it ran down onto the car damaging the paint and the plastic bumper.

I often wonder how many people damage their cars getting them in and out of their garages.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Quote.....""some unidentified male" claimed that her mirror was damaged and accused me of speeding."

What are you going to do about that then Snowball? As its sounds like a "try on" to me?
    Basically, smudger, I can do nothing without the risk of causing an unnecessary increase in my next premium, yet still pay out the cost of the repair myself (less than my 100 excess). So she gets away with it. Riling yes, but still not worth 'cutting off one's nose to spite one's face!' Happy days!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    The insurance companies claim that there is statitistical evidence to support the premise that any driver, having had one accident, is more likely than the average, to have another accident. This is their justification for increased premiums for innocent victims.
    How about this assumption being applied to a driver who has correctly parked his car in an on-street marked space for parking, and another driver runs into his vehicle?

In reality, the offended driver has not truly been involved in an accident - only his car has during his absence. How can that occurrence make him a greater risk behind the wheel after the event, than he was prior to it?
    I think it is an example which exposes just how corrupt are insurers in extracting as much cash as possible from their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Basically, smudger, I can do nothing without the risk of causing an unnecessary increase in my next premium, yet still pay out the cost of the repair myself (less than my 100 excess). So she gets away with it. Riling yes, but still not worth 'cutting off one's nose to spite one's face!' Happy days!!!
    That is the problem, If you notify the insurance they will increase your premium by more than it will cost for you to repair the mirror yourself and for more than a year.

These days insurance companies go to such details to make sure they don't lose out. I don't know how true it is but, I heard that even the colour of your car can affect it's insurance as they account for how many of that model and that colour were involved in claims. While I understand that insurance companies need to have a fair advantage they do seem to go a bit far.

BTW good to see you back Snowball, We were wondering where you had got to.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    BTW good to see you back Snowball, We were wondering where you had got to.
    Thanks for that, MrDanno. We've been away with our caravan for 4 weeks, just outside Helston in Cornwall. It's in that vicinity where I had my mirror damaged. Many narrow lanes around there, and some of the Cornish drivers fly around blind bends like bats out of Hell. Good training for keeping your wits about you, though - Ha ha!

Cornwall's councils seem to love double mini-roundabouts, and there are loads of them. So, whilst waiting to make a quick skip through the first one, being ready to brake sharply at the second one is a must. It does make me wonder how many of the dented cars around there have suffered because someone wasn't quick enough to brake in the hazardous area between the two.

Quote...."Helston in Cornwall." Hey! I remember that place, I did a fire fighting course there when I was in the R.N.

It was a flight deck fire fighter course, which I had to do when our frigate got a Wasp Helicopter.

I think you would find Helston a bit changed now smudger; and not for the better.
    We had elected to use our bus passes, and were in Porthleven. Checking we were at the right bus stop for going to Helston, a couple in front said we were. They said they lived there, and in a tone that suggested they would prefer to live somewhere else. It is a bit tatty around the town centre. Being the home of the Furry (Floral) Dance, one can be forgiven for thinking of "Furry" in the terms of a layer of accumulated grime. No worse, though, than my own born-and-bred Leicester.

Aye! that sounds like where we live now, we moved down here 14 years ago, and its just amazing how the area has deteriorated in that time?