Thread: Under what circumstances will the RAC not recover a car?

Default Under what circumstances will the RAC not recover a car?

Hi. I have been a member of the RAC for a number of years, and I think I have most elements of cover with my membership.

Question ? I have a few cars, and one of them is parked at a relatives house approx 75 miles from my home. I have in effect taken the car off the road, and it is now on a SORN and is no longer insured. (It does still have a valid MOT though). I will soon be wanting to get the car back on the road, but the problem with it is, that the battery has now died, and with it being a 1999 Merc the battery is in the boot, which I now can't get into, to change the battery!! (If your with me?).

SO in order for the car to be attended to where it is OR recovered back to my home address WHAT exactly does the car need to have for the RAC to recover/attend to it?

I know about it needing to be taxed, however does it also need to be insured??

Thanks everyone.

I beleive that both tax and insurance are required for a recovery. I would also say that they would regard the circumstances you describe as transport rather than recovery. In any case - if a flat battery is the only problem, they woiuld just jump-start it for you.

Thanks for that. Think I'm with you. So lets say, I just call them out to get the car going. (In that the car is not moved or taken anywhere by the RAC). They just start it up for me. Would it still need to be taxed and insured for them to do this? Cheers

I don't know - I doubt that they would check anyway.

The terms & conditions say:
    "It is a legal requirement that Vehicles used or
    recovered with their wheels in contact with the
    public highway must have a valid current excise
    licence. Where no current excise licence is
    displayed We reserve the right to refuse service.
    If service is provided We will attempt to repair
    Your Vehicle at the roadside but will not provide
    any other service or benefit."

So the answer seems to be "Maybe".

Presumably you can open the driver's door with the emergency key in the fob? Is there not a battery connection point under the bonnet where you can attach a jump lead and the negative to a good ground point? Or find the big wire to the alternator and connect there?
    Last edited by Hometune; 31-08-12 at 18:06.

I don't believe that a car parked that you just want moving qualifies as a breakdown recovery. So my guess would be that if you gave these details at the time of call, you wouldn't even get a Patrol to investigate.

The car must be road legal tax mot insurance If its just a flat battery we would boost start if it needed a new one we could supply but you will not get recovery for it

Miss breakdown