Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vauxhall Insignia DPF

Exclamation Vauxhall Insignia DPF

Hi
    Any one had any problems with the Diesel Particulate Filter. My Insignia SRI CDTi 160) is 3 years and 5 months old. 5 months out of warranty and it went into Limp Mode (30 MPH top speed).
    A visit to Perrys told me my DPF was blocked, this was due to short journeys ! I do 40-60 Miles per day in my job, around town using motorways to get around South Yorkshire.
    After checking with a computer they found the Turbo pipe had split (3 years old ! ). They replaced this and did a forced Regen (down the motorway with the computer connected and overrode all the commands. This cleared it (they told me).
    They then charged me 300 for this. (it still lack pulling away power and at change of gear low revs a slight kangroo driving mode).

I month later, "Limp Mode".
    Took it back, they did a Regen again, new codes from Vauxhall, this will cure the problem ! (no cost).
    I rang Vauxhall Uk with my concern. They said it was due to short journeys, when I explained how many miles I do for work, it was "the new codes will cure it"!

3 weeks later: "Limp Mode" !
    My local dealer just took the keys without saying anything!

I am waiting for them to say it needs a new DPF (about a grands worth?)! I doubt Vauxhall will want to offer any help !)

Any body else who does short journeys of 60 miles a day, causing their DPF to block up ?
    Let me know please.

Cheers

If the DPF has blocked up due to a burst pipe, - quite common on all Vauxhalls of this type by the way - then the EGR valve and inlet manifold, air flap etc etc will also be clogged up. No need for new parts, just a proper clean which most dealers don't do, as they prefer just to replace at your expense.
    They may have found one broken pipe but I have seen several cars with more than one burst so it is always worth checking the pipes again, especially the small ones from the DPF to the pressure sensor. These break near the join next to the steering rack due to a very poor design using brittle plastic that is unable to flex properly.
    There are DPF cleaners available from Unipart and similar outlets so no need for a new part. Simply remove the DPF and immerse in a bucket with the cleaning fluid in it overnight. Dry out and refit.

Hi Formula 1 Driver

Spot on.... had a call from Perrys an hour ago. The test shows the PDF blocked again! so, they rang Vauxhall Technical: advised to: Remove pipes from EGR,/ radiator (?) and check for blockages/dirt. Perrys say this will cost me 248, just to check.
    I asked them to ask Vauxhall for help with this. They say until they know what's wrong they won't help !
    What a pain.......
    A Vauxhall that costs more to repair! I'm on the lookout for a Vauxhall Viva, 1975 ish (Blue Ribbon). Most jobs are 3 hours max, and that's replacing the engine !

Thanks for the quick reply, better armed than not at all.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Richo View Post
    The test shows the PDF blocked again! so, they rang Vauxhall Technical: advised to: Remove pipes from EGR,/ radiator (?) and check for blockages/dirt. Perrys say this will cost me 248, just to check.
    Dave
    The DPF is blocked because the EGR is stuck due to carbon build up or the air flap where it fits is blocked in the interconnecting airways. I.5 hours labour to check and clean if they know what they are doing.

UP DATE

Got the car back today. Went for it at 8.15am. They kept it until 5.15pm, while they repainted the bumper above the number plate and tightened a screw in the number plate. (they did'nt cause the scratch, " it must have been there when it came in", and, "why is your number plate lose". Because someone must have wanted it during the 4 days you had it carrying out repairs. I dared to suggest to the receptionist "perhaps the mechanic removed one screw from the number plate, pulled it away from its place and twisted it up hill in order to get to something behind the grill ?" no, theres no access that way !

Anyways...

Its had a new air cooler radiator and housing, they rang Vauxhall for advice. They suggested it was either Blocked or Leaking. (if it was leaking, then would not gases from the boost side get into the cooling system and blow it up or would cooling system water get into the air system ?).

Vauxhall paid 70% towards a new rad, I paid 190. There is no mention of checking the EGR valve. strange, I would have thought that if the radioator is blocked (with soot) then the other parts will also have soot in them ?

I was very pleased to drive away from Perrys. (although, they did give it a wash and clean the inside ! when I paid the 300 for its first service they even adjusted the windscreen washer (badly, I could wash a cars windscreen overtaking me on the motorway at 70 mph..

I hope this is an end to my story.....

Well I hope it is Richo, it was good of them to fix your windscreen washers, I've been trying to adjust mine, but cant seem to get it right, they either hit the bottom, or shoot right over the roof within a tiny adjustment

I find a darning needle or hat pin poked into the jet makes the job simpler Smudger, if the needle almost fits the hole in the jet then the needle serves as a guide as to where the water will go. On bigger jets, I have found a paper clip fits.

Aye! I have done all that, but cant seem to get the angle right, as it looks OK when the needle is in, showing the angle, but when I try them when the car is moving, its either too high or too low

Something’s are especially designed to annoy us Smudger. In the past, I have resorted to carrying a needle in the car until I get the washers just right.

Whilst this is NOT Vauxhall DPF's it may be of interest..... http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/343695.aspx