Thread: Accident with uninsured driver

Default Accident with uninsured driver

Hi

I hope someone is able to give me some advice here. Last night a couple of boy racers crashed their car into mine. It was 4 o'clock in the morning and my car was parked outside in the road. They did stop (had to as they wrote their car off) and gave us a name and address but went off in their friends car before the police could get here and we had no insurance details off of them. It looks like they had no insurance and my car was only covered third party. My car has certainly been written off as although the bodywork looks fine the front wheels are pointing in different directions and although the engine starts I can't put it into drive (it's an old automatic SAAB). It is likely to cost more than the 450 I paid for it to fix. Someone told me there is an insurance fund to help people hit by uninsured drivers and I'm trying to find out about it.
    Can anyone help?

Just a couple of thoughts

Are the police doing anything?

Does your insurer offer legal assistance for uninsured risks?

There is indeed a fund that all UK insurers contribute to for accidents with uninsured drivers. Talk in the first instant to your insurers and ask them to refer your case on.

Quote Originally Posted by helpadvisor1 View Post
    Can I recommend www.************.co.uk to put you in touch with the best legal/claims advisor.
    Wow that's only six times you've mentioned this site in six posts. Are you sure you're just a genuine conceerned motorist?

Quote Originally Posted by helpadvisor1 View Post
    Many are no fee- The top 10 are shown on the site.
    But how much do they charge if they win? And how much for a case that you could have won anyway by either fighting your own corner, using the RAC's legal service, using your insurer's legal service - get my drift?

I know it's a bit late, but try: http://www.mib.org.uk/Default.htm

Unfortunately due to you being covered third party only, your damages are not covered in the event of an accident, do you have legal protection included in your insurance premium?? If so, they will pay for your damages and also if the third party is not insured they will appoint a solicitor at no extra cost to yourself to claw back monies from the uninsured driver in the event of a write off.. all included in your legal benefits if you have them...