Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mgb gt

Default Mgb gt

MGB GT

How about a bit of old English fun?

As we all know the ‘B’ in roadster form was launched in ’62 then in ’65 the rather pretty ‘fastback GT’ was launched.
    To me the GT is a much more practical vehicle as one can motor through the bad weather of the winter (and British Summer!) thanks to a hard top yet still enjoy the very comfy driving position of a ‘classic’ MG. But be warned… …the GT version may be a ‘hard top’ but thanks to BMC/Leyland build quality it will still leak like a sieve! ..but then that is always a source of amusement amongst older car owners.
    A good sturdy engine and a decent gearbox; however try to get a version with overdrive.
    They are easy to maintain apart from when it’s clutch change time – the whole engine and gearbox has to come out!
    Also thanks to there being a roof the structure isn’t so dependant on the sills for strength (as per the roadster) so a bit ‘o’ patching with the welder at M.O.T time is more than acceptable.
    Grease the front suspension points every 2000 mile and it will stay fairly responsive (oh the joy of trunions!); a quick job with the old grease gun!
    Keep the oil topped up in the Carburettor dashpots … SU Carbs – the easiest Carburettors ever to maintain!
    Change oil every 3000 mile – not expensive
    At the end of the day parts are available everywhere and they are fun to drive, ok so they break down but then … isn’t that also part of the fun? …
    Last edited by WRX._.GTi; 17-08-12 at 22:07.

A mate of mine in the Navy had an MGB/GT it was his pride and joy. In fact when he got divorced, he told his ex wife's lawyer, that she could have everything else, but not his beloved car.

Nah, has to be the Sunbeam Alpine for me.

TR6 for me boys!

Quote Originally Posted by WRX._.GTi View Post
    They are easy to maintain apart from when it’s clutch change time – the whole engine and gearbox has to come out!
    When I was young I had a 'B' roadster and only took the engine out to change the clutch.

Converted it to telescopic shocks and various other mods on it.

Must admit it was one car I wished I'd never bought.

Rolebama;
    Nah, has to be the Sunbeam Alpine for me.
    Yes a very nice sports car and they even did a direct rival to the MGB GT ... the Sunbeam Alpine 'Harrington' GT.

Hometune
    TR6 for me boys!
    The 'flying brick'!

Never thought they look very pretty compared to other British sports cars, but I do respect the power they had in there day - oh the joys of Lucas mechanical Injection systems!

MrDanno

Must admit it was one car I wished I'd never bought.
    Sorry to hear that, why?

Also:

...I'm supprised no one mentioned the Triumph GT6?

Quote Originally Posted by WRX._.GTi View Post
    ...I'm supprised no one mentioned the Triumph GT6?
    That was a hairdresser's car, the male variety.........

I had a Triumph Spitfire with a soft top when I was a young man. (The Mk 1) Many fond memories of that car.

Hometune,
    That was a hairdresser's car, the male variety.........
    GT6! ... I thought that was the TR7
    Actually I quite like the shape of the TR7 - Shame about the build quality!

Well, if we are talking about Noddy cars,........when I was younger I had a Fiat Super-Mirrorferri (?spelling) and it was rubbish! (just like my spelling)

I owned it for 9 months, and it spent most of them in the garage being repaired under warranty
    ? it was a1.6 Twin Cam Engine