Thread: Tyre speed ratings

Default Tyre speed ratings

I'm looking to change my 225x45 R17 91Y tyres for some All Season ones.
    My garage has some but they are 94V
    They say they are ok but the 91 Y are the size that came with my car (Honda Civic 2.2 diesel) .
    Would it make any difference as I don't understand what it means and don't want to buy them yet
    in case there would be a problem .

Google "Tyre markings" and speed rating

Thanks Dennis .
    So the 94 part means the tyre will carry a heavier load but the V part is for a max. speed of 240 KM/H compared to 300 KM/H .
    I don't intend to go that fast (not sure the car can either !) anyway but is it all right to change the fitted tyres to a lower speed spec ?

Generally speaking, as long as the speed rating for the tyre exceeds the published max speed of the car, you should be OK. Remember the tyre speed rating is for 'sustained' speed.

Thanks for that Rolebama . I must admit that I didn't think to "Google" it and now that I have I've acquired a pretty good understanding of the ratings and loadings !
    I've Googled what the top speed of my car is and even flying downhill it wouldn't break the V (240km/h) limit so I guess the V rated tyres would be ok .
    However , knowing how everything has to be just right with the Insurers I'll check with them first . If nothing else , I will at least know what I'm talking about now !
    Thanks .