Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Passing on the inside of lane hoggers on motorways.

Quote........" They just have a problem about being overtaken."

Aye! them folk are scary, the plod along at 50 then take the right hump when you overtake them. As you say they come right up behind you, flashing their lights, in fact they could cause an accident quite easily by distracting you.

I have started a petition to try and get "undertaking" on roads with 3 or more lanes legal. Please support at bit.ly/LegalUndertaking
    J

Undertaking is legal????????????????????????

This seems or be a double thread?

Drivers who undertake make work for "undertakers"

If people don't want to be "undertaken" MOVE over when nothing to your left then!!! I regularly sit at 70mph on cruise control using lane 1 as supposed to then using lane 2 and 3 (overtaking lanes) as and when required so when I am in lane 1 for 5 miles or more and come across 60 mph van in lane 2 or 3 I am supposed to pull up behind them flashing my lights and honking horn???? Or just carry on in lane 1??? Come on people anything other than lane 1 is an overtaking lane (hard shoulder exception obv) so I'll carry on moving over to lane 1 when not overtaking and if anything in other lanes to my right that is their problem,

Quote Originally Posted by Littlekev View Post
    If people don't want to be "undertaken" MOVE over when nothing to your left then!!! ........................ so I'll carry on moving over to lane 1 when not overtaking and if anything in other lanes to my right that is their problem,
    Lane hoggers are a pain in the butt - most would not argue with that. But, for anyone who does continue forward to pass on the inside, a few things need to be considered.
    (1) A number of drivers do not use lanes correctly, and will often suddenly change lanes without prior warning.
    (2) Anyone who feels they have the right to call themselves a good driver does not deliberately carry out a manoeuvre, knowing it to be unsafe, against the H.C. and if it could possibly cause an accident.
    (3) Like it or not, when a road user makes an unsafe manoeuvre (hopefully accidental), it is the responsibility for other drivers to take the necessary action to keep the situation safe, which includes giving that driver space to correct their error.
    (4) If a driver responds in an aggressive manner to an error by another road user, then that driver jointly and equally responsible for any resultant collision. They also risk bringing other innocent road users into danger.

I have frequently given passage to another road user who has acted in a way that might involve me, or needs to be given room to avoid an incident. If I ask myself, 'do I want to be the reason for a police officer knocking on someone's door (or even the door of my own family) with bad news?', the answer comes straight back - 'no, I decidedly do not!'.
    Be safe at all times - the roads are no place for arguments or taking chances - even when someone's idiocy produces temptation.

It seems to work OK in America, so why not here? After all, we tend to copy everything the Yanks do, so why not this?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    It seems to work OK in America, so why not here? After all, we tend to copy everything the Yanks do, so why not this?
    Yeah, but the Yanks drive on the right, so passing to their left is correct! Copying everything the yanks do has probably been the cause of one of the worst impacts on UK society.

OK so we have captain Doink in the middle lane hogging it. What is wrong with going to the outside lane to pass?? One lane hogger type is Mr Wagon overtaking Mr Waggoner at 0.25 miles per hour faster that Mr Waggoner. I have sat behind some of these guys for up to 20 mins on the M56. They are not the only ones as I have heard car driver conversations as "I don't use the inside lane it's full of lorries" How many plonkers do that with an empty inside lane. I still pass on the outside when I can. Finally show me a handful of cars that stay at or under the 70mph limit on motorways. If I drive at 70 most will pass me. What is this need to overtake/undertake when most of the time you may gain a couple of minutes if you are lucky.