Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your car games!

Default Your car games!

If you’re doing a lot of travelling, games can be a great way to help pass the time - whether you’re a driver, passenger or have restless children on the back seat.

So this month on the forum we’d like you to share with us any car games you know or play to help pass the time when travelling.

And everyone who posts a relevant game will be entered into a prize draw to win an RAC Sat Nav. The competition will close at midnight on August 31st 2012. You can see the prize by clicking here.

You can read the full T & C’s here.

WINNER UPDATE: The competition is now closed. Congratulations to Nessa77 for winning the RAC Sat Nav system!
    Last edited by Owen; 04-09-12 at 14:53.

Default competition time your car games

i spy is a big favourite keeps everybody going

One of our favourites used to be an agreed list of things we are likely to see on a journey, The one who spots them first gets the point. This list would be tailered to the route. (No use expecting to see a windmill journeying through Central London.)
    Working through the rainbow using colours of cars seen.
    For the kids, it was spotting road signs, and road markings and explaining their meaning.

Around Christmas, our kids competed to see who had the most lights on their side of the road.

Road signs was another favourite - they each had a copy of the highway code and I pretended not to know what they meant so they would have to explain (this when they were 6/7/8 years old.

The best of all though, was to allow one of them to navigate with the map (usually the OS 1:25,000). On holidays I would obey the instructions implicitly and they would send us to all kinds of strange places. On other journeys I would have to override sometimes, but for a child, the chance to be in charge is a huge thing. They also learned to love and understand maps.

Back in the 70s before we had dual carriageways and the like here in Scotland, we could spend ages stuck behind slower cars on the A9, so I used to get our kids to make up words or anagrams from other cars number plates.

I used to make up ones myself to go with the drivers in front slow driving, but they could not be used in the game?

We used to play The number plate game where we would make a sentence using the letters of the cars we would see the funniest would be the winner, we also used to have spelling tests with my Dad, i am sure this is why i am such a good speller, a lot of it was to keep me occupied as i suffered with travel sickness

Loved spotting caravans on our car trips and making a running total throughout the trip.

Default Pub Cricket

When travelling with the Grandchildren we often like to play Pub Cricket.

One of the kids plays the batsmen and the other plays the bowler.

Runs are scored with the number of arms or legs persons or animals have in the pub name.

eg: The Red Lion =4 runs, Cow and Calf = 8 runs
    When a pub isn't specific about the number of people or animals in it's name there are restrictions. (eg: (1)Fox and (4)Hounds or Coach and (4)Horses)

If there is no person or animal in the pub name the batsman is bowled out.

When all 11 batsmen are bowled out the kids swap roles and the one with the highest score wins the game.

Great fun
    Last edited by jeremiah; 02-08-12 at 23:07.

My stepsons are car mad and like to play a game called bingo, when they spot two cars of the same make and colour they shout bingo!

My grandson likes to play connection in the car. One person shout out one item at a time and let the other people guess what the connection is. For example: pencil, pleated, mini and the connection is of course SKIRT.