Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water in front plug ecu

Default Water in front plug ecu

Ok, apologies if the terminology is incorrect here, but hopefully it'll make sense!

My C2 is getting water in one of the connectors that plug into the engine management system - of the three its the one nearest the front of the car.

Causing the car to cut out /low rev etc.

Its happened three times so far over the last few months. To get the car running again, I simply disconnect the plug, dry it out and I'm off again.

No matter what I do, I cannot see where the water is coming from, especially given that the battery cover also covers this part of the engine as well.

You do not say whether this happens when the car is stationary, and water getting in from heavy rain or hosing down, or if it is caused during rain whilst driving. Thus, two different reasons are possible for the ingress of water.
    Have you checked for any possible omission of, or damage to, a rubber seal? have you taken any steps to obtain an opinion from a professional source?

I read somewhere that this can be caused by a leak from the windscreen washer pipes. Might be worth checking. Also there are some excellent water repellent sprays available WD40 works.

This is the third posting of this question?

Am driving and engine just cuts out . Not caused by rain while driving as happens when dry weather so possible when engine gets warm water getting in on plug .

Yes spayed plug with wd40 ok gets car running for about a week then water comes back . Would not be from top cus there is a cover over top

Quote Originally Posted by Baz2014 View Post
    Am driving and engine just cuts out . Not caused by rain while driving as happens when dry weather so possible when engine gets warm water getting in on plug .
    Sounds strange. It isn't unusual for humid conditions to cause water droplets to form when weather suddenly turns cold, especially when forming on a cold metal surface.
    Formation from a warm engine suggests that the water is coming from the engine itself. Or, as Santa said, from a leaking windscreen wash system. These things can be a pain, but the problem should be traceable with a thorough, methodical check.

The windscreen washer is other side of engine I think so maybe not that ??

Lightbulb

But have a look at the hoses which connect the wash bottle to the nozzles, and have you got washers for the headlights? Usually the additive added to the screen wash has a distinctive odour (smell)

The ability of water to find channels for travel, and the possibility of capillary action, means that the source of the problem could be a significant distance from where the trouble is occurring. Attention to detail and looking for the most simple of causes is necessary, as it is easy to overlook an apparently innocuous fault.