Thread: advice needed

Default advice needed

Hi, my car was only in for suspension work at a Coachworks, once I picked it up,I barely got 5miles and blue smoke bellowed out back and revs were up in the red!!! (Scary for my two young kids)
    I called back the Coachworks and they said it wasn't there problem, I eventually got them to pick it back up and they mentioned that they had put oil in it as the oil light was on, my car is a Suzuki and it says in handbook that the oil light comes on when its due a service, I know for a fact that oil was fine as I check it regularly. He said that it must have been a problem with my car. The blue smoke,high revs and oil coming out my exhaust, surely that means they put to much in???. The are having non of it and I've called in an independent engineer to check it out, my fear is that
    A.it won't show any damage
    B.they will have done something to it over weekend to clear there ****.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The symptoms point to oil burning in the engine and then the engine 'running away' due to overfilling of the sump. The garage has already admitted filling the sump so you are a good way to proving their error. The engineer should be able to confirm it.

Thanks for that, I thought that was the case, they are adamant that there was no oil in the car and the manager started the car up the next morning and called me saying that "its fine now" I'm just worried about potential long term damage!??.
    Glenrothes coachworks have terrible P.R.

I fear that since the car has been on there property over weekend, they will have done something to cover their mistake. What are long term damage to my engine??? I drove about 7miles.

Quote Originally Posted by methilbobb View Post
    I fear that since the car has been on there property over weekend, they will have done something to cover their mistake. What are long term damage to my engine??? I drove about 7miles.
    Hard to say. My handbook does warn not to overfill the engine oil sump. As far as I know, it causes a problem with the turbo.

OK here's what the independent engineer has told me. " it was the engine management burning of excess carbon from the cat. Hens the high revs and plooms of smoke". He did conceed that the garage had filled oil to high but this was not the cause. So now am looking like a right divvy ! As I have never seen or heard of this before.

That is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard from a so-called 'independent engineer'. You must ignore it and report him to whatever trade association he is in.

At no time during a regeneration of the diesel particulate filter do the revs go anywhere near the red. If the engine has hit the red line then an overspeed indication may well be stored in the engine ECU memory. When you are driving a regeneration can take place once certain conditions are met i.e. catalyst temperature above a predetermined point, engine temp above 70 degrees C (usually), particulate filter saturation above the manufacturer's preset limit etc etc.

The garage overfilled your engine and this is what caused the 'running away'. Take the car to the nearest dealer and ask them to examine the engine and management system for damage. You have the proof as he says the garage concedes they overfilled the engine. On turbo diesels this is extremely dangerous.

You are right. There is a cover up going on here.