Thread: runaway diesel

Default runaway diesel

Bought a 04 Renault megane scenic in may and after 3 weeks it did what I have found to be called a runaway diesel. Engine runs on the oil until goes bang basically.
    I had 3 months warranty on engine and gear box so rang the dealer and he said I would have to get it back to him.
    Had it towed back to him and had to hire a car out of my own pocket which I wasn't happy about.
    He put a new turbo on, then discovered the cam belt had gone and the valves had bent so offered money back. This was a week later.
    When we went to get the car he again said we could have money back or if we wanted to wait the car would be getting fixed with new turbo, head and cam belt. I thought this would be better option as I had already spent X amount on hire car. Plus we would lose months tax and 50 quid of fuel if we got out money back.
    Another week and the new head that was sent was wrong so had to be sent back and a replacement was being sent
    It's now been another week, still paying for hire car out of my pocket.
    He rang to say the car is running it just needs the wheels putting back on and a valet.
    But the cam belt hadn't snapped it had just slipped so instead of putting a new one on he has just put the old one back on but it will definitely need replacing. The costs were alresdy high so he couldnt justify spending more on a new belt. His words were 'at least it's running now'

Furious is not the word, why he didn't ring and ask me if I was willing to pay for a new belt I don't know. Instead he tells me I'm going to have to replace it myself which is going to cost me the full amount in labour too.

Any ideas what to do? My Mrs wants me to just get our money back but now I'm gonna be another months tax plus all the hire charges out of pocket for nothing. My idea of waiting for it to be fixed would have wavered these costs due to it having a new cab belt

Thanks in advance

You should have taken the option of getting your money back at the beginning. It is quite unusual for a car dealer to be so agreeable about this when you read all the posts on here.
    Cut your losses, forget the car hire, car tax etc. Just get your money back. This car will never be the same again. Put it down to experience even if it is costly.

Welcome to the site dirtydozen, I agree with Hometune on this one, it's not common for car dealers to offer a full refund like that, I would have taken it when it was offered, good luck.

If anyone doesn't know what a 'runaway diesel' is, have a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zx3qKX_Pno

In my experience, nothing but a complete engine would cure this damage.

Take the money and write it off to experience.

I got the car back as I couldn't justify writing off over 500 quid as it's a hell of a lot of money to me.
    The car seems to be running fine but I have it booked in for a new timing kit on Thursday.
    He has replaced the turbo, head and bottom end.
    It seems they have rushed putting all the aesthetics back on as the front end plastics are all out of place and they have pinched my spare wheel although they have said they no nothing about it.

I'm just wondering if it's worth me taking the guy to small claims court

Didn't finish sorry

Taking him to small claims court for the cost of the hire car as it was a necessity needed and he was unwilling to provide anything. I didn't have a car to use down to a problem with the car he sold me. And also getting the cam done seeing that he told me I need to get it done. When I bought the car I bought it without it needing any work with warranty and no advisory on the cam belt.
    Also the wheel missing and the shoddy job of putting it back together

Also yes he did offer money back but basically changed his mine and said he would fix it. So although he offered it I don't think I would have gotten one

I think the lesson here is, even before you go back to a dealer, check with Trading Standards and obtain guidance as to exactly what your options are. In this way, you are more likely to have an arguing advantage over the dealer, rather than the opposite way around.
    And Hometune was right - you would have been better pressing for your money back. At that stage, any monetary loss would have been lower, and far better to be rid of a car which, in my opinion, would always be a source of worry.

Default damson6

I have had contaminated diesel in the Wimborne area and would like advice.The garage said it was water in the fuel because I used cheap Tesco's fuel.Tesco's said their fuel is perfect.I had to pay 4100 on a car 3 years old 17.000 miles and under warranty.Have contacted Trading standards(yet to hear back) and Motor Codes.

Default damson6

Would like to hear from Whitnig as we both have problems with fuel in the Wimborne area