Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Learning to Drive an Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by patrickmoore View Post
    I would never suggest anyone to start their learning with automatic gear box, that is just ridiculous.
    Me too. Just for the practicality problems. We all know if you pass in an auto and you can't drive a manual bass in a manual and you can drive an auto. But because if you pass in an auto, iirc, theirs a whole load of areas where buying and running an auto is more expensive than a manual.

That said you have your choice of Mercs if you pass in an auto. I can't remember a single manual Merc for sale on AutoTrader for a maximum budget of 2,500 which is pretty much what I can come up with.

Totally agreed on this one. If you know how to drive a manual - you will be able to drive auto as well.

As above, if you start at manual and get the hang of it. Automatic should be a walk in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickmoore View Post
    Totally agreed on this one. If you know how to drive a manual - you will be able to drive auto as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulLloyd View Post
    As above, if you start at manual and get the hang of it. Automatic should be a walk in the park.
    You would think so, woudn't you.

Back in the 90s, when I was a fleet manager in Birmingham, we kept some pool cars for general use. They were all cars which had been returned, but had some time to go before the lease ended. At one time, a number of middle managers were made redundant, and I acquired several automatics for the pool. Some people would downright refuse them because "they didn't like automatics." Some would happily take one even though they had never driven one before, and some would reluctantly take one because that was all I had available.

Most people, with a little instruction, soon got the hang of it, although some still said that they preferred a manual. At least two, both men, never got off the car park. After ten minutes or so revving the engine, jumping back and forth and burning rubber off the rear tyres, they just gave up and bought the keys back.

It's amazing how may people have accidents in automatics, by pressing down on the accelerator, instead of the brake?
    We got called to quite a few accidents, most of them were elderly people.

I once saw a collision caused by a person driving an auto Merc. Apparently, on some late 70s models, it was possible to select Reverse whilst travelling forward, and it was also possible to manually change down for more acceleration when overtaking. It was deemed that the driver had intended to change down to accelerate, but selected reverse instead. So they slewed completely across the road with smoke pouring off the rear wheels, into the oncoming traffic. Had he not slewed, be would probably have had enough room to overtake.

I have also seen a few rear-enders because some auto drivers develop the habit of driving two-footed, hence driving everywhere with the brake lights on, so when they do stop, following cars don't realize until it is too late. (Naturally, had they indicated, it might have given the following driver a clue!)

I am learning in an auto and have just got a new motability auto. The problem I have now is the Micra. I am learnig in an old one. About 14 years old i think and my car is 13 plate. Therefore the. Micra accelerator is hard to is now difficult to press causing me to not drive smoothly since I have had my own car to drive in with my husband supervising
    Todays lesson in the Micra was a disAster. Going slowly and not able to gain speed well as the accelerator has to be pressed fully down to get any where near 30mph
    It was not too bad at first as I have been learning for 5 months ( i am 57) btw. But now i have been in a new
    car with easy pedals i feel like i should book a driving school with newer cars. Or i may never be able to pass a test. Also it is hurting my ankle and leg having arthritis which makes driving my car a lot easier and the seat is also able to heighten and steering wheel alters height. The old micra is very basic.
    Should i book a new car with another instructor or will i get it eventually driving 2 different cars ?

Quote....."motability" does that mean you have a Mobility car through the DVLA? As I thought you had to hold a full driving license for three years, before you can drive one of their cars?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Quote....."motability" does that mean you have a Mobility car through the DVLA? As I thought you had to hold a full driving license for three years, before you can drive one of their cars?

No it is a motability car through my disability living allowance. I am able to learn to drive in it as i am on the insurance but i have a named driver who is my sons girlfriend. And she has held a licence for 3 years and is over 21. It has all been
    Done properly and today I rang motability about using my car for the test and that is allowed as I am on the insurance. People who are provisional licence holders are allowed to have a car through the Motability scheme as long as they have a full licence holder as their named driver

It always rather annoys me when I see older cars advertised as suitable first car. Especially when learning ( after passing the test always learning ) you need the best possible car you can get. As you have seen, on newer cars things are, usually, easier to operate and it makes driving more pleasurable. Only exception I can think of is the number of modern cars with an electronic handbrake. If I see this on a car I am considering, it is discarded as an option immediately. In your position I would be wanting to learn in a car that made everything as easy as possible.