Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery

Default Recovery

I have recently had my car stolen and subsequently found. The police instructed a recovery company to pick it up and they currently have it at their storage facility. As the vehicle is not fit be driven am i covered through my membership to have it recovered to my home ?

What about your insurance company? Are you covered for theft?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    What about your insurance company? Are you covered for theft?
    I am covered, however, the car is only worth approx 400 with 150 excess so don't think i'm going to claim, just wondered if RAC would at least recover it to home as its undriveable ?

In similar cases the RAC have refused to do it on the grounds that it is merely transport and not an emergency. It will have already accumulated recovery and storage costs which may well be more than the value of the car.

If you involve your insurance company they will load your next premium. My advice is to do a deal with the recovery people and scrap it. Buy another cheap car and transfer the insurance without telling them that the first car was stolen.

Your insurance company should do this; I would not expect the RAC to do it under the breakdown cover. The recovery company will have storage charges.

My point was that the recovery plus storage is likely to be more than 400.

How long was the car missing for? Have you seen how much damage was done, or are you just going by what the police have told you?

Quote........ Buy another cheap car and transfer the insurance without telling them that the first car was stolen "

Thats OK in theory, but wouldn't the car details appear on some database somewhere where they could be checked?

Yes. I do believe you are correct. I think the police and the insurance industry do seem to share data. but saying that, it wouldnt be fraudulent would it?

I wouldn't think so, after all you never made a claim, and the question they ask is....."have you made a claim within the past two years" so technically speaking, you haven't.