Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Warranty woes

Default More Warranty woes

I bought a Volvo V50 2.0 D last July 81k on the clock and almost 4 years old,left it until I came back from holiday at the end of July. I decided to take it on a run a 120 miles To see my son and family seemed to run fine, I was due an MOT so I took it for a check-over at a garage we trusted where it was MOTed and was told the clutch sounded a bit noisy, so a couple of weeks later I checked it in and had it and a DMF replaced before it got worse.

My son mentioned extended warranty might be a good idea, so I Googled it and like an idiot I believed the Marketing claptrap, how the most expensive time in a cars life is it's fourth year and how warranties were the best thing since sliced bread, etc.
    The greatest warranty ever by Quentin Wilson and Warrantywise, looked like what I needed, so I took it at the beginning of September. Thinking I now had peace of mind for those expensive repairs that could happen to my car. ( in fact what they predicted was going to happen).

Here's a quote from the Quentin Wilson handbook which I recieved after I took the Plan, inside cover:
    "Most warranty companies check your car out when you claim (that's how they can wriggle out of paying) but we check it 'before' you take out the warranty and at our own cost...."
    Well it transpires, Warrantywise is also one of those "Most warranty companies", and yes, they wriggle out of paying any way they can with their weasly words and aligations.

Here's another quote from Quentins Mission Statement in his handbook :
    "2. What if I want to use my local garage?
    I prefer that you use one of our Approved Repairers...etc."
    and again later in the book in the Repairs Procedure " we prefer that you use an Approved Repairer.

In November the clutch disintegrated and after being relayed home I phoned Warrantywise to find out who the Approved Repairers were in my area. reply was "we don't have any, take it to a local garage", Alarm bells start to ring, First lie discovered from the marketing gumpf.

I took it to an RAC approved garage, who refused to take the car if Warrantywise was involved, according to the garage they were bad news. Alarm bells are ring louder now.

Took it to a Volvo garage, went through the procedures and paperwork, Warrantywise decide they are not touching it, because the parts were less than a year old. now I should point out that the garage that had previously fitted it was no longer around, a victim of financial climates. but Warrantywise was adamant that that garage was responsible for the replacement, which had they been around they would have been. However I was a thousand pounds shorter in my wallet.and the clutch was a defective part. I had to put it down to experience.

To comply with the warranty, I took my car for its yearly service at the Volvo service centre, and asked them to look for a possible small oil leak,(I had lost about a third of a centimetre on the stick in a thousand miles), they checked it and found one, but one thing lead to another and they seemed to think there was a problem causing the leak, they were convinced the crankshaft was 'floating', I think that's what used to be called main bearing trouble. Not to worry, all moving parts in the engine are covered, according to the plan.
    Garage notifies Warrantywise for me and set the ball rolling, I have to authorise exploratory to find trouble, Expert calls to see engine, wants more bits striped down, garage complies, man returns does his bit and goes.

E-mail from Warrantywise declining repair, Expert is apparently accusing me of driving the car without any oil in it or that the DMF was badly fitted which was said by Volvo to be fine at Christmas when the new clutch was fitted.

The car was bought in good faith and this problem most certainly wasn't evident when it was originally checked over.

Warrantywise are now trying to say that the problem was there before the plan was started without any evidence of that at all, It may be the case that the previous owner allowed the oil to run dry or that there had been an oil pump problem in the past but I have no record of that or any way of knowing that.
    I have never driven the car without oil, in fact I check all the fluids regularly and most certainly before any journey of more that a few miles, that's why I asked them to check for a small leak at the service. I tend to look after my cars, the last Volvo I had for 16 years and cost very little to maintain, the Audi A4 I replaced it with 6 years ago is still going very well now, having done 116k.

So what is actually covered by this plan, well if a part was replace and over twelve months old you might be lucky or it might have been badly fitted, otherwise every part on the car is suffering from wear and tear and disintegrating slowly or quickly and has been doing so since it left the production line so that just fair wear and tear, and if the car was previously owned and you know nothing of it's previous owner or their driving habits, forget it, then the weasly words and wriggling starts, don't hold your breath for payment, and having now seen so many complaint about this shower and their refusals They are just another bunch of insurance con men lining their own pockets. As for dear Quentin, well, looks like he's in it up to his wallet as well, do we trust a journalist any more?

Whilst I agree with your conclusions, third party warranties are just a waste of money, on the point about the first replacement clutch; it would be covered by a one-year warranty by the garage that fitted it. The fact that the garage had gone bust is not covered by the third party warranty. It would be worth contacting the receiver and adding your claim to the list of creditors. The is the long shot that they had insurance against warranty claims which may be still active..

Tried that, most I could hope for was an apology. They hadn't kept up their payments on the insurance to cover warranty claims, for over a year.

I don't think I'll bother with a renewal of the warranty. save it towards repairs.

I would send this story with all the details to BBC Watchdog especially pointing out that Quentin Willson is involved. He appears on the BBC News regularly. Then I would send him personally a copy of the story and tell him you have already contacted Watchdog. Ask him for a response. Finally, the Office of Fair Trading is to launch an investigation into these 'waste of time' warranties so send them your story too. Oh, and journalists rank with politicians as the worst of people to trust.

Hi there.

My name is Lawrence Whittaker and I am the CEO from Warranty Wise Insurance Services. I have decided to comment on this forum page relating to the Volvo claim as there seems to be some confusion with the quality of the cover, which is somewhat concerning to myself and Quentin.

Firstly, I am proud to say that we offer the highest level of warranty cover available anywhere in the UK - bar none. We do regular comparisons between our competitors and like for like we are streets ahead every time. However, I appreciate that this may not be much consolation to Comuscomp at this time, but I just wanted to get my point across that not all warranties are ****!

If Comuscomp, or anyone ever has a problem with one of our warranties, I would request that you write to me personally at my email, which is lw@warrantywise.co.uk It is important to me that we aren't a faceless company and if you have experienced a problem please let me know the details and I will look into it personally and come back to you with a fresh perspective on the claim in question.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Kind regards

Lawrence Whittaker
    Warrantywise

Well hello Lawrence of the weasel words, do you have a pre-made template for answering forum complaints, with blanks for different cars and names. a very similar one appear in numerous posts of the 11,600 hits on Google for "Warrantywise complaints". can so many people be wrong.

I think you need a reality check, your company is no different to any other warranty company, it wriggles and squirms to refuse payment in any way it can, glib marketing and weasel words. What you offer on paper can be construed in many ways but always to your advantage.

I'm sure you look at your competitors, if only to find out how they get out of paying and how much you can increase your policies by in line with theirs.

I will email you with my past experience and it will be interesting to here how you came to your conclusions of the damage and the unfounded allegations as to their occurrence, what proof do you have that the problem my engine suffered was pre-existing before the policy was take out 9 months previously? I bought the car for 6 weeks before that and I know nothing of a problem.

I no longer have a problem with my car, I have had a new engine fitted and the cost of which I have paid, part of which will be from next years warranty cover which you will not be receiving nor will there be any in future years. I have been stung, I have moved on and put your despicable behaviour down to yet another con-artist insurance salesman. Buyer beware.

It is companies such as yours that give the whole warranty/insurance industry a very smelly name.
    Last edited by comuscomp; 10-07-12 at 14:38.

Quote Originally Posted by comuscomp View Post
    Well hello Lawrence of the weasel words, do you have a pre-made template for answering forum complaints, with blanks for different cars and names. a very similar one appear in numerous posts of the 11,600 hits on Google for "Warrantywise complaints". can so many people be wrong.

I think you need a reality check, your company is no different to any other warranty company, it wriggles and squirms to refuse payment in any way it can, glib marketing and weasel words. What you offer on paper can be construed in many ways but always to your advantage.

I'm sure you look at your competitors, if only to find out how they get out of paying and how much you can increase your policies by in line with theirs.

I will email you with my past experience and it will be interesting to here how you came to your conclusions of the damage and the unfounded allegations as to their occurrence, what proof do you have that the problem my engine suffered was pre-existing before the policy was take out 9 months previously? I bought the car for 6 weeks before that and I know nothing of a problem.

I no longer have a problem with my car, I have had a new engine fitted and the cost of which I have paid, part of which will be from next years warranty cover which you will not be receiving nor will there be any in future years. I have been stung, I have moved on and put your despicable behaviour down to yet another con-artist insurance salesman. Buyer beware.

It is companies such as yours that give the whole warranty/insurance industry a very smelly name.
    Dear Comuscomp, I can assure you that I don't have a set template, but spend my time writing on forums because I actually believe in what we do and sometimes we aren't in the wrong as we of course have to abide by terms and conditions which you are made fully aware of when you take a warranty out with us.

I have just done some google searches of my own. Results for Warranty Direct Complaints = 651,000, AA warranty complaints = 117,000, Auto Protect Warranty complaints = 1,130,000. I really do disagree with your comments that we wriggle out of claims as both Quentin and I put a lot of effort into making sure we pay out more than any other warranty company. We even publish all our paid claims on our website, and are one of the few companies who do this.

Please send me your email and I will look into your complaint, but it appears that you have already made up your mind.

Regards

Lawrence

1.9 million hits on Google for your company and 3 others, says a lot about a trustworthy industry and not something I personally would have draw attention to. About as popular as journalists and bankers.

Made up my mind? well I can think of many deserving causes that I could give my money to and get nothing in return, but Lawrence and Quentin's "Make me rich fund" isn't one of them. But, yes you're right I have.

ps. Don't Google "car warranty complaints uk" the hit number is frightening

When my MINI warranty expired I too thought of Warrantywise insurance but instead I opened a savings account and I put 25 in each month for any repairs which may be needed. So far I have 150 saved up.

Quote Originally Posted by Morris Mini View Post
    When my MINI warranty expired I too thought of Warrantywise insurance but instead I opened a savings account and I put 25 in each month for any repairs which may be needed. So far I have 150 saved up.
    Wise man. My 4-year VW service and maintenance warranty (proven trustworthy on this and a previous car), runs out at the end of next February. Four years is VW's maximum length of such a warranty for a new car. As I am keeping the car this time I have been looking at the independent warranty companies, and have decided on a savings plan.