Thread: running engine with radiator damage

Default running engine with radiator damage

How long would it be safe to run a 2.5l td engine for with radiator damage, some water loss.

Until the water is too low to circulate.

I wouldn't run it. Some engines need a full tank of coolant to guarantee full circulation. The days of the 'safety margin' are pretty much gone.

Nope not worth the risk the moment there is not enough water you get hotspots in the engine and the damage starts btw what car is it

Miss breakdown

removed
    Last edited by Hometune; 14-06-12 at 13:25.

Thank you all for the answers, I sold a mazda bongo to a lady and it had a glow plug/cold starting issue, she towed it on a rope to a garage but crashed it on the way there due to no servo on the brakes, the crash damaged the radiator causing water loss. The garage where she was taking it to admitted to a supposedly independant engineer that they ran the engine for 20 minutes ( for what purpose I can only guess ) now , surprisingly enough there is water in the inlet manifold, and the engine will only turn slowly and wont start at all. She is suing me for around 20k price of the van plus legal costs, claiming it was like that when I sold it, despite her friends( a nurse) statement that says we test drove it normally on the day of arrival. so if anyone with qualifications could also proffer their opinion I would be further gratefull. Not keen on iinjustice, and those who cause deliberate damage in order to make a claim,

Welcome to the site Chris, it sounds like a "try on" to me, hope it works out OK for you.

Tell them where to get off. They damaged the radiator, and then someone else ran it. My guess would be that it was run with not enough coolant and blew the head gasket.

Chris, are you a dealer or was it a private sale?