Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Tips for Buying a Car!

hi,
    yes but if you buy a lemon it could cost you a hell of a lot more, even if you have bought it you could still loose it if found to be stolen, then you have lost both way's the car AND your money,
    a lot more expensive int ***.

I agree, but if you wanted to look at a few cars befoer making a decision, that can mount up. As to 'Inspections', they can also miss things, and I believe there is a disclaimer on their Reports.

hi rolebama,

true enough but if you cannot afford the RAC or the AA at least do a search and look for advice on what to look for when buying a used car and take a friend with you in case you miss something and they don't, preferably someone with a bit of mechanical know how.
    check, check, and check again, do not be to keen to hand over your money just because the car looks nice and polished and has low mileage, think very hard first before parting with your brass.

do your research and shop around simple

DO NOT buy from car parks or pubs ,DON'T buy from laybys, if they do not have a proper address don't meet them anywhere, DO check all the places were the chassis numbers are stamped ( do they match the log book ), does the vin number on the dash near the windscreen match the log book,
    measure wheel centres if they vary from side to side it could have been in a crash, look for ripples in the metal work under carpets and for welded plates that don't look right another sign that it could have had a shunt,
    have a good look round the engine, has it got oil leaks, does it run smooth, does the engine smoke, try the clutch, does it change gears smoothly, take it for a good ride don;t be frightened to push it on a bit get the engine hot to see if it smokes or runs uneven when hot, are the brakes good, does the handbrake work as it should and hold on a hill, and on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by rick45 View Post
    ~ measure wheel centres if they vary from side to side it could have been in a crash, look for ripples in the metal work under carpets and for welded plates that don't look right another sign that it could have had a shunt~.
    No need to go to all that trouble. Just have a look at the gaps. That's the gaps between the door edges and the car body - they should be small, but not touching, and equal on both sides.

Lifting the carpet in the boot to look for ripples and welds is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    If you go to someones house to buy a car, make sure they actually live there, for example, ask for a glass of water, or to use the loo. Its been known for con artists to use the drive of a house where the owners are away on holiday, or at work.

Ask a lot of questions, just to make sure that the seller really knows the car, if they don't then its probably stolen?

Always go to look at the car in daylight, and if its raining or the car is wet, dry it off,(take a cloth with you) that way you will see any damage to the paintwork?

While your looking in the boot, check the tread on the spare wheel, (if it has one) and have a look for any water damage at the same time.
    I once went to view a car at night. The sodium street lighting showed up variations on the paintwork where it had all been done at different times. I didn't bother knocking on the door!

More recently, I checked the vehicle registration against DVLA and found that it belonged to a different car than the one I was viewing. In this case, there was a simple explanation and DVLA supplied the correct details which I got rectified before buying.

it's advisable not to buy a car from a friend or work colleague, because if a fault becomes apparent soon after you buy it, you will lose that friendship

always make sure that you are insured to drive the vehicle you are test driving, ie the seller has it insured, and you have fully comp insurance to drive other vehicles not owned by you, whether it's as an added to your policy or you buy day insurance

Aye! I was beaten by 50 for a Smart car on Ebay, but a week later the owner phoned me asking if I still wanted to buy it?

Apparently, the woman turned up to pay for it and drive it back home, but when she called her insurance company for a cover note, she was told that she couldn't drive it, as it was a semi-auto and she only had an auto license?