Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spanish speeding fine - how on earth do we pay them?

Hybrid View

Default Spanish speeding fine - how on earth do we pay them?

On a bendy motorway near Malaga the speed limit jumps from 80 to 100 and 120 and back. First trip in the hire car, I lost track in March. I've only just received a ticket. My daughter is a Cambridge language graduate and has trolled the suggested area of the website www.dgt.es "Tramites y Multas: Jefatura virtual" as well as other sections and it doesn't work! Any suggestions please?

If you have the Google Chrome browser, it will offer to translate foreign websites when you visit them - that might help. Obviously it's a machine translation, but might give you a clue.

Thanks but I have a daughter with Cambridge degree who could not work it either. The tourist information centre in London has had other similar queries today and the phone number on the letter (which does not work either) is the same as the one on their records!

The Spanish embassy may help you.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    The Spanish embassy may help you.
    The obvious question is - why do you want to pay?

I'd guess you want to avoid some awful scenario like being arrested next time you land at Malaga airport. I don't know how likely that is - some foreign countries simply drop cases involving foreign nationals, but others do keep records and have efficient systems.

You may be able to get some expert advice at http://www.pepipoo.com/

Default speeding ticket

hi, normally you just go to the local police station in the area where you got the ticket and pay them. But we have had friend who got tickets on their way home from spain and forgot to pay them and they heard nothing more. hope this helps
    Last edited by steven paul; 04-06-12 at 18:38. Reason: forgot to mention detail

Hi All -
    got one of these speeding fines today after a trip in Oct 12. Did a bit of digging,........
    Providing the penalty has no points it is quite straightforward with a credit card (and like the UK has discounts for early payment) - You can see a penaty scale at:
    http://www.dgt.es/was6/portal/conten..._velocidad.pdf (Multas is the fine and puntos is points).
    To pay go to :
    https://apl.dgt.es/WEB_Sanciones/jsp...ionPagador.jsf

I completed the form in the following way
    DOCUMENT TYPE - Passport from the drop down box.
    DOCUMENT NUMBER - Passport number
    NAME - My First name
    1st SURNAME - My Surname
    DATE OF REPORT - Input date from the penalty notice - 'FECHA DENUNCIA'
    RECORD NUMBER - Input number from penalty notice - 'N. EXPEDIENTE' (REMOVE HYPHENS AND DECIMAL POINT!!)
    TOTAL AMOUNT - Input fine amount (before discount) as shown on penalty notice (Importe total multa)

Having completed this form it shows all fines registered against your passport (FOR THIS REASON YOU CAN ASSUME YOU WOULD HAVE PROBLEMS AT BORDER CONTROL IF YOU CHOOSE TO IGNORE THE NOTICE AND RETURN TO THE COUNTRY!)

Payment details are then easy to enter and the screen quickly produces receipt numbers and a notification of payment for your records 'JUSTIFICANTE DE PAGO DE SANCION'

Hope this helps because for a while it gave me some right pain and hope to have others avoid this!

Thank you for these instructions. Have recently received a speeding ticket (Dec 2012) from my holiday in August 2012. These instructions were really simple and helpful, fine all paid, so hopefully no problems when we return to Spain in the future.

why didn't they send you a ticket printed in English?. ask them that if they pull you on your next visit.

I wouldn't pay it if it arrived in a foreign language, as a lot of tourists who come here, just return back to their own country and don't give them a second thought, so why should we,