Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVLA Driver Certificate of Entitlement

Question DVLA Driver Certificate of Entitlement

Hi,

I have a question about driving in Europe and after trawling the web for ages still cannot find a straight answer to.

My driving license is with the DVLA for photo card renewal and according to their system has been processed today and is either already out / or will be out on Monday for delivery with Royal Mail.

This is being sent by second class post (not sure why as they charge a fee so why not charge a bit more to make it first class or next day!!) and depending on who you speak with, it will either take 2/3 working days, 5/7 working days or up to three weeks (what a great service they all provide).

I am due to leave the UK for a driving holiday around Europe on Wed night so need my license back by Wed morning to hire the vehicle. If the license doesn't arrive then I can still hire the vehicle using this Certificate of Entitlement service from the DVLA for a small fee.

My question is can I also use this Certificate of Entitlement as driving license evidence in Europe if stopped by the local Police?

I have tried asking the DVLA and their response if that I will have to ask each countries equivalent DVLA if this is accepted!!

For info the countries travelling through are as following:
    France, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Italy.

If anyone can help me with this then I would be absolutely grateful and any assistance much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

On the one hand, if the question is so difficult that you need to refer to the local DVLA equivalent, then the local bobby in Shitville-sur-Merde will have no idea and may lock you up to be on the safe side. I'd be surprised if a policeman even in this country recognised one of those.

On the other hand, I've been driving on the continent for 30+ years (and in the UK for 40+) and have never been stopped by a policeman.

I'd be inclined to take a chance, but maybe not if I was the sort of person or drove the sort of car which the police tend to stop

You should have anticipated this and sent off for your licence three weeks earlier.

Welcome to the site Kiddzi, it would only mean a quick computer check for them to find out if you have a full driving license. These days everything is easier with the Internet, they can even tell within seconds to find out if your car is insured, so checking if you do have a full driving license is simple, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Welcome to the site Kiddzi, it would only mean a quick computer check for them to find out if you have a full driving license. These days everything is easier with the Internet, they can even tell within seconds to find out if your car is insured, so checking if you do have a full driving license is simple, good luck.
    Really? I know vehicle and insurance (and MOT) information is available (Providing the Registered keeper name and address is up to date) but I am not convinced UK Driver details will be instantly available on Main land Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Are you sure Smudger?

Can foreign police forces really access DVLA and UK insurance databases?

Amd if they can, isn't it contrary to the DPA?

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    Are you sure Smudger?

Can foreign police forces really access DVLA and UK insurance databases?

Amd if they can, isn't it contrary to the DPA?
    While I agree with your first sentence. I am not sure that the DVLA is worried too much about obeying the DPA. They do not mind giving our name and address to Robbing Car Park operating companies.

Well I just assumed they could, after all the Internet is world wide? Mind you, what would happen is someone is banned from driving here in the UK, can they still drive in the rest of the EU?

If so, how would any other police in the EU know that they were banned?

Thanks everyone.

Beelzebub: TBH it might come to that if the license doesn't come through in time.

Dennis W: I did not realise that the photo card had a 10 year expiry date on it which had run out at the beginning of the year... I only found out as I used the license as ID at the bank and the cashier pointed it out to me.
    I had used this for ID at several other official establishments and nobody else picked up on it!!

The DVLA has said that the European Police can ring their enquiry number and that they will fax the certificate to them (at a small fee to me) if required.
    I will have a copy of the fax myself to produce but the above is if they needed to verify authenticity.

My main issue has been that the DVLA are rubbish at giving correct information as it changes depending on who you speak with.
    I was meant to go down and collect but that got messed up by them so it ended being printed and sent for postal delivery.

Why they don't have a fast track service like the passport agency is beyond me as in this day and age you expect flexibility rather than a dark age’s one trick attitude.

It seems that no one is sure for definite which is the big issue... oh well will have to keep my fingers crossed that Royal Mail pulls through for me (and disprove stereotype claims levelled at them)

I do not think that it is fair of you to blame the DVLA this time. They probably sent you the forms to renew your photo about three weeks before your licence expired, and you probably did not open the letter.

But, on the other hand, when I phoned them up to ask where had my new V5 document gone to, he would not tell me because he thought that my address was different from what he had in front of him, Silly man.

How can you make a complaint against DVLA staff?
    Last edited by Dennis W; 26-05-12 at 01:06.