Thread: zafira 2.0 DTI 03 reg maff sensor problems

Default zafira 2.0 DTI 03 reg maff sensor problems

hi i have a 2.0 DTI zafira which dirves really well when first started .. but can often slow right up and just about drive .. then it can drive off again as if nothing has happened. the EML came on and diagnostics said it was the MAFF or EGR faulty. the EGR has been replaced and the MAFF replaced with an aftermarket one .. the fault is still there .. one garage has advised that the Maff be replaced with a genuine bosch .. it looked as if the bosch one fitted was quite new ... another weird occurance is the low fuel warning light and the handbrake light flickers on and off when the fault is about to happen and as soon as the fault clears the lights go out. yesterday to make matter even worse both keys failed to unlock the door although they both worked fine before .. just drove the car about 90 miles without a fault .. it appears that the fault happens when the engine and outside temp is quite hot .. a have heard that the ECU can overheat and cause these symptoms also the engine to body earth strap can also cause similar.. i read the comments about a similar fault by HOMETUNE caused by crud in the inlet manifold .. any ideas please as this is getting expensive..

Hi, the EGR fault is the most common on these due to a lot of town driving and oil seepage past the turbo seals. It is no good changing the EGR valve on these UNLESS you do the following to:
    1. remove the MAP sensor from the manifold and clean it out but do not poke it so use carb cleaner or similar.
    2. remove the inlet manifold completely and clean all the carbon out of it
    3. remove the intake flap valves below the manifold housing and again clean the carbon off.

It will be clogged up so don't skimp on the cleaning properly. The MAF will throw a code if the flap valves are clogged which is a common fault. If a MAF goes down the fault stays there and does not fix itself when you switch off and on again. If the EGR code was P0400 then the valve may still be okay, just carbon being the problem.

hi hometune. thanks for the comprehensive answer .. the EGR valve was replaced before i got the car and is virtually new. also the MAFF sensor looked new but i replaced it with a after market one .. have now ordered a new bosch cos local garage informed me that the EML can show up if the MAFF is not a genuine one .. heard such a load of suggestions such as the radion must be a genuine vauxhall cos its connected to the ECU and can also cause a fault. ... i will certainly do as you suggest and clean the swirl flaps and the inlet manifold. .. do you have any suggestions as to the fuel and low fuel warning lights switching on and off and flickering when the car is about to cause problems. also both keys suddenly stopped working when the engine was playing up .. will let you know how i get on .. thanks again ..

Check the battery charging rate from the alternator Around 14.25v with electrics off. Around 13.8-14.25v with lights, heater etc switched on at idle. Just in case.... Or remove the dash and WD40 the connections.
    The EML will NOT show up if the MAF is non genuine. It only shows if it has a fault or back pressure from the engine (swirl flaps not opening under load for example, blocked exhaust or stuck EGR valve) causes a bad reading.