Thread: Each City seems to have its own distinct Bus Lane regs. Can we protest about them?

Default Each City seems to have its own distinct Bus Lane regs. Can we protest about them?

Each City I visit seems to have considerably different rules and regulations on who can use its bus lanes and their time of operation.

One question. Do most towns and cities restrict bus lanes to Monday to Friday ONLY?

To be honest, I haven't a clue about cities, but I have noticed the different times in various London Boroughs. Consequently, I don't use at all. Not worth the risk. I have also noticed that when driving it is not always possible to take in all that is written on the signs. Perhaps it is time to sort out a national set of regs?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    To be honest, I haven't a clue about cities, but I have noticed the different times in various London Boroughs. Consequently, I don't use at all. Not worth the risk. I have also noticed that when driving it is not always possible to take in all that is written on the signs. Perhaps it is time to sort out a national set of regs?
    The more responsible local authorities limit the times to when they're actually needed, e.g. 4 to 7 for the evening rush hours out of town, so you will get different times even within the same borough. Others, whether through ignorance or anti-car bias, apply a 24-hour rule.

If you campaign for a national rule it will be 24-hours everywhere: be careful what you wish for!

When I teach learners, they have to understand that not only can they not use the bus lane during its hours of operation, but they must use it (if practicable) outside those hours. That means that reading the signs is essential. I agree with Rolebama that this is sometimes difficult, as some of the signs can be very 'busy' with three or more time bands.

Maybe this explains why so many drivers avoid empty non-operational bus lanes, but I suspect that in most cases it's down to ignorance and/or laziness.

Someone should challenge the legality of 24/7 bus lane regulations.

It could be argued that Bus lanes 24 hours/ 7 days a week is so unreasonable as to be contrary to law.

Let us fight back.

If Liverpool can have sensible Bus Lanes, every other City should be able to follow that example, surely?

I stopped going through North Watford because of a bus lane; a. 24/7 traffic-light controlled one. I don't know how often the buses run along the A412, but there is absolutely no need for anyone to sit at a set of lights for no reason other than they are there! I tried them in the early hours, and they were still changing with no sign of a sensor to give a green for the 'normal' lane.

I am planning to submit a Petition to the Government Petitions web site. Or maybe there is one there already.

My first submission of a petition on the topic was rejected, but they have now accepted a second attempt.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/33996 I had to suggest that they allow delivery vehicles into bus lanes as a means of reducing the amount of vehicles in the other lanes.

Please consider signing the petition as a protest against bus lanes. Thank you.

Bus lanes give priority to buses, and sometimes taxis and motorbikes. I have difficulty in seeing why they should have priority over my vehicle, but that is the status quo and not for discussion today.

I certainly can't see any good argument why " ... all delivery vans, White Vans as well as Royal Mail vans and trucks" should also have priority, so I'm sorry, I won't be supporting your petition.

I would support a petition to ban them completely. Why should X amount of motorists have to wait in a queue next to an empty stretch of road? Makes as much sense as building a dual carriageway and allowing one lane to be used for parking.
    I most certainly would not be in favour of other vehicles being allowed to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    Bus lanes give priority to buses, and sometimes taxis and motorbikes. I have difficulty in seeing why they should have priority over my vehicle, but that is the status quo and not for discussion today.

I certainly can't see any good argument why " ... all delivery vans, White Vans as well as Royal Mail vans and trucks" should also have priority, so I'm sorry, I won't be supporting your petition.
    Some bus lanes allow bicycles, but then cyclists sometimes believe that the Highway Code doesnt apply to them anyway.