Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAC leaves two 18 year olds on their own 40 miles from home (RAC REF 47315)

we took a set of dynomec ,but because the lock nut has a floating head it is not suitable.kind regards bryan
    It seems that the OP owns a tool but it wouldn't work. I am getting a little confused here - He also says he has the key
    yes she had key for locking nut
    so although he has both, he still has to use a hammer and chisel...?

No doubt the RAC have a protocol for this situation and the patrol obviously checked with his controler. The young lady is an adult and refused the offer of help that was made. I don't see what else could have been done.

I would be interesting to hear the other side of this - I suspect that English is not the OP's first language, so there may have been a communication problem as well.

hi,thanks for ur interest,i along with hometune suspect wheel nuts had been done up with air gun,i am trying to find out who the CEO for the RAC is but for some strange reason another CEO Andrew moss stepped down this morning,i believe that is third one since company got taken over in sept 2011,the main concern i have is i bought a breakdown/recovery package for peace of mind thinking anywhere she travels the RAC would insure they either get car going or give her a option to take her to her destination and that was not what was offered to my daughter,but how could the so called 4th emergency service just leave her at road side i dont get it,ok they got away with it this time but as i said to RAC care manager u are putting ur name to this decision to leave her by road side .once again thank u for ur time in ur comments

hi again ,possible air gun tool was used to tighten up previously ,it is first time i have dealt with RAC upon not being able to fix car they have re coved car,as for offer of help pay 85 +2 a mile i suspect he thought he could make a few quid for himself.as for language my daughter is as English as u can get and we have a family tree dating back to at least 1700s, Santa i dont know what else u need to be told but if u are in the Farnborough area we can discuss of a cup of coffee no probs,thanks again for ur interest and comment no offence is intended and taken....thanks bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    It seems that the OP owns a tool but it wouldn't work. I am getting a little confused here - He also says he has the key so although he has both, he still has to use a hammer and chisel...?
    The specially shaped face of the key (or adaptor) is quite shallow and locates into a correspondingly shaped face on the wheel bolt. When air guns are used to tighten these 2 items, the face of the key is easily damaged. This would not be apparent until the next time it is used. Additionally on these cars there is another key which is used to undo the small screw that holds the centre cap in place.
    This is why I say the lady is not to blame and I do think the patrol could have made an effort to help.

It is pretty cler that if you want the option to be taken to your destination then you have to pay for it. The basic roadside service that the RAC membership gives is just that - basic. From memory 20 minutes and a tow to the nearest garage.

I am not unsympathetic here but I do think that you are being unfair when you blame all this on the shortcomings of the RAC. There doesn't seem to be a lot else to say so I wish you luck with your complaint.

A word of advice on that - when you complain you must be clear about your objective. An apology, compensation, whatever - it's no good just writing a long letter of complaint without being clear as to what you expect them to do about it.

the point of a forum is to let others be aware of what can go wrong with situations ,compensation is not my goal,my daughter is the one that will get the apology,like all organisations there will b someone who will treat this with the respect it deserves(i just have to find who it is lol) because they know when someone like me feels his daughters have been mistreated i will pursue to right a wrong.i dont have a choice i am a dad first and foremost.i never need sympathy,its easy the RAC left my daughter by the roadside because somebody made a error of judgement,i need clarification of what i think i have paid for and what i received because it was less than satisfactory,i just hope i dont read about any person left by roadside and something awful happens to them, thanks for ur time tc

but how could the so called 4th emergency service just leave her at road side i dont get it,

Are you sure you are with the RAC as being"4th emergency service is AA`s claim

I was working with the AA when it introduced the '4th Emergency Service' advertising campaign. I visit a few places along the South Coast, and have, over the years, got to know some of the Lifeboat crews and I also visit a few places where I have got to know some members of Mountain Rescue Teams. None of them were impressed.
    Strangely, if you dialled 999 at that time, you could get a lifeboat or mountain rescue, but not the AA!!!

hi,my mistake ur right it was the AA,least the experience hasnt affected my daughter cause she was back driving down motorway next night,mind i have since replaced all locking wheel nuts ,so the RAC cant use that as a excuse for not doing what they paid to do ,lets hope this glitch is a one off.i will let u know how it fans out,i hope i dont have to take my custom else where,thanks again for ur comments ,bryan

just a quick note to add, what's Andrew Moss got to do with this? he was CEO of Aviva, RAC haven't been anything to do with Aviva since august last year! stop trying to contact him, not fair on him if anything!?!?!?