Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RAC leaves two 18 year olds on their own 40 miles from home (RAC REF 47315)

lol.yep must have got wires crossed some where the CEO is Chris woodhouse,hope this didnt confuse anybody else other than me,thanks for pointing out mistake kind regards bryan

I work for a private recovery company and do have experience with this kind of senario and can appreciate that the operator has to honor the company he works for and their terms and conditions regarding driver error although I think it was harsh to say a young lady has the strength to damage a locking wheel nut/key but this I believe is not the main cause of concern I believe when I carry out a roadside job that if it isn't possible to carry out a repair I have a duty of care to that member and therefore have to make sure they are in a place of safety with drink and toilet facilities this is something that should be carried out before leaving the member they can then make they're own arrangements if needed and can be easily located by friends of family

Now that is thoughtful service, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    Now that is thoughtful service, well done.

yes, buy that man a drink

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    It is pretty clear that if you want the option to be taken to your destination then you have to pay for it. The basic roadside service that the RAC membership gives is just that - basic. From memory 20 minutes and a tow to the nearest garage.
    Santa,please please read the posts correctly before making comments.

The op has already said in post 3

Quote Originally Posted by bryan1964 View Post
    the RAC package we have is breakdown/recovery,but RAC driver and customer care manager both decided key on locking wheel nut being slightly damaged was driver error
    note recovery,so i have no idea why you are going on about 20 mile tows etc,you seem most confused throughout this whole thread.

Also

You knew the nut was faulty but did nothing about it, so you were aware that a flat tyre would be a major problem for her.
    No,no where in this thread did the op say that he knew it was damged.

Then you say this

It seems that the OP owns a tool but it wouldn't work. I am getting a little confused here - He also says he has the key so although he has both, he still has to use a hammer and chisel...?

No doubt the RAC have a protocol for this situation and the patrol obviously checked with his controler. The young lady is an adult and refused the offer of help that was made. I don't see what else could have been done.

I would be interesting to hear the other side of this - I suspect that English is not the OP's first language, so there may have been a communication problem as well.
    Yes you are getting confused.

It is crystal clear to me that the op's daughter got a puncture,the rac came out and could not undo the locking wheel nut as it was damaged.
    Then the next day the op returned and using a hammer and chisel was able to remove the locking wheel nut and change the wheel.

Also to say that you think the op's first language is not english.....well what can i say.

Hi bryan1964. I am really sorry to read of your disappointment. I am currently reviewing the circumstances and will contact you off-line. MC