Thread: Hyundai 5 year warranty a joke

Default Hyundai 5 year warranty a joke

Before you consider buying ANY Hyundai product, please read about my experience!I have just taken my car into Hyundai to have it checked as the clutch had FAILED. The car has covered 18,000 miles, is in daily gentle use and has NEVER shown the slightest sign of clutch wear whatsoever, no slipping clutch, no change in clutch pedal travel, no baulking gear changes, nothing. The car has FHSH and had just been in for a full service not 6 weeks and less than 1000 miles before and there was no mention of clutch issues, because there weren't any. The service manager then told me that the reason the clutch wouldn't engage was that the clutch had "welded" itself to the pressure plate with rust, and asked whether the car had been left for several weeks parked in a flood! Of course I explained that it had never been parked in a flood and the car is in daily use, which I can happily prove with our CCTV. He then asked me whether the car had been driven through any water? Well, as I live in the UK which has just had the wettest April for 100 years, I would have to admit that yes, it has been driven through puddles. This apparently, may be the cause!!!! I may not be an automotive engineer but, in my humble opinion if the Hyundai i30 is supposed to be driven only in dry conditions, then I would suggest that it should only be sold in particularly arid countries and certainly not in the UK which is quite prone to rain. Hyundai told me that this is not going to be covered by warranty as the clutch is showing wear and therefore cannot be a warranty claim. The clutch is showing wear? I'm sure all clutches that have been installed in a car will show wear if the car has been used at all, it is a part that is designed to wear. This is nothing to do with clutch wear, it is to do with the clutch FAILING due to a design fault or manufacturing defect, or is it normal for the clutch to “weld” itself to the pressure plate with rust? So, they want me to pay £630.00 to repair this failure, which I absolutely refuse to do. They asked me to authorise them to put the car back together, so that this cost can then be fully incurred. I will not. If this is how they treat customers, when their clutch fails due to being rusted to the pressure plate, even though it is only 3 years old, done 18,000 miles, is in daily use and has never been in a flood, then I will be obliged to take whatever action necessary to get this resolved satisfactorily and to inform other Hyundai customers and potential customers of A. this "dry use only" clutch problem and B. The way Hyundai UK deal with issues like this. I will also take this to the Trading Standards and if necessary to court as I absolutely refuse, on principal, to pay for what is obviously either a design fault, manufacturing defect or downright shoddy manufacturing or materials. I have spoken to Hyundai UK’s customer care department and after speaking to the dealership they have also refused a warranty claim.

I suggest that you need legal advice. Does your RAC membership cover this? If not you can try a free half hour with a solicitor that offers it.

Quote..."The dealership have also refused a warranty claim." Welcome to the site buyerbeware, have you tired contacting Hyundai directly, and inform them of the way you have been treated by the dealership as they would have no idea of the situation until you tell them. Also, it might help your case in you involve these people....http://www.oft.gov.uk/consumer-advice/CAB-overview as they will be able to put you in contact with the right people you need to resolve this case for you, good luck.

I would go with Smudger’s point about Hyundai, try them first. Clutches are usually not included in warranties due to, how a customer drives can and does have a big effect on clutch wear.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    I would go with Smudger’s point about Hyundai, try them first. Clutches are usually not included in warranties due to, how a customer drives can and does have a big effect on clutch wear.
    I would agree with you, wagolynn, except for the low mileage that the car has done. I have heard of clutch plates becoming welded to the flywheel/pressure plate by rust, but this is usually due to standing for very long periods, which is ruled out by the OP's indication of 'daily use'. It would be interesting to hear Hyundai's take on the situation.

I'm a bit confused by this one. The OP says the clutch would not 'Engage' but, If the drive plate was sticking to the flywheel or the pressure plate it would be the opposite, The clutch would not 'Disengage'. Usually in this situation you can free them by starting it in gear then when at about 5mph just pressing the clutch to the floor and pressing the brake.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    I'm a bit confused by this one. The OP says the clutch would not 'Engage' but, If the drive plate was sticking to the flywheel or the pressure plate it would be the opposite, The clutch would not 'Disengage'. Usually in this situation you can free them by starting it in gear then when at about 5mph just pressing the clutch to the floor and pressing the brake.
    That's what I once had to do with a vehicle I had been working on for quite some time, and did as you describe. Perhaps the confusion is in the way the OP has described the problem.