Thread: manufacturers reluctance to compensate

Default manufacturers reluctance to compensate

I have a 2 year old Peugeot 308 HDi which has recently had a collapse clutch release bearing, despite the vehicle being in warranty and only covering 25,000 miles Peugetot say that warranty does not cover the clutch after 6 months. As the rest of the clutch componets were in gopd condition, fit for many more 000's pf miles they agreed to replace the parts FOC, however this still left me with a bill for 440 labour. Customer services refuse to budge, anyone know if I have any chance of a legal route to get my money back either against Peuget or their bearing supplier?

Hmmm.... that depends I think.

When you drive the car and come to traffic lights for example, do you put the car in neutral, handbrake on and release the clutch pedal? Or do you put the car in first gear, waiting for the lights to change with the clutch pedal held down?

surely if it is still under the manufactures warranty that is usually 3yrs or 100 thousand miles everything should be under warranty, it's these new dual mass flywheel clutches that are ****, and every car is being fitted with them,
    i bet peugeot are saying it is a consumable part and not covered, i could maybe understand them if it had covered about 80 thou but not 25000, just another get out they are all the same who ever you buy from,
    but it is worth a try, does it say the clutch is not covered in the warranty you got with the car, have a look if it does not say it is not covered you have them by the hairies.

As Hometune suggest, it is relatively easy to destroy a clutch thrust bearing. I think all manufacturers exclude the clutch from their warranties along with brakes, and tyres. The only angle I can think of is; the reference in the warranty to the clutch does not refer to the clutch operating mechanism only the clutch plate and the flywheel surface acted upon by the clutch. It can be argued that the thrust bearing is part of the clutch operating mechanism. It is a long shot though.

thanks for the responses, the car is usually put in neutral at lights, although not always; there hasn't been a driving style change over the past decade during which time we have had 3 Renaults and no problems. Peugeot have stated in writing that the clutch is not covered, however they haven't detailed what constitutes the clutch in their eyes and it is an angle that i will persue with them. The whole thing in very frustrating, most people including the dealership service manager agree that the bearing should last much longer. I'm sure they know it was a faulty part by agreeing to replace the parts FOC because as HQ customers services put it in their written response "the particular circumstances were slightly unfortunate".

Yes from what you say, you would seem to have a claim but all the manufacturers, especially the French will not admit any form of liability. A factory original release bearing should last at least 50,000 miles. A clutch comes in 3 parts: the clutch plate, the pressure plate and the release bearing.
    Early Fiat Puntos suffered premature failure of the release bearing due to the constant pressure of the hydraulic system pushing it against the pressure plate. Maybe there is a design fault doing something similar.