Thread: ASTRA G Failed MOT on emissions

Default ASTRA G Failed MOT on emissions

Hi all,

2 days a go my T reg (1999) Astra G 1.6 Sport failed the MOT on the emissions (passed everything else) The MOT technician spent a while trying to get it through the emisssions (revving the car hard to get more heat in the cat) but it still would not pass. He advised me he thinks it is the catalytic converter. Below are the readings for the emissions test.

Fast Idle Test

CO LEVEL 0.60% FAIL
    HC LEVEL 111PM PASS
    LAMBDA 1.03 PASS

Second Fast Idle Test

CO LEVEL 0.59% FAIL
    HC LEVEL 123PM PASS
    LAMBDA 1.03 PASS

OVERALL RESULT EXHAUST EMISSIONS TEST FAIL

I have been told to try CATACLEAN in the fuel system Apparently it will clean the CAT and other things resulting in better MPG and lowering the emissions. So i bought some CATACLEAN, sure enough it has made a difference to the feel of the cars performance and it appears the car is running smoother. The car goes back for the re-MOT on Friday morning. Do you guys think CATACLEAN works? Do you think the problem is the CAT?

Regards

Richie.

The fault is definitely in the cat. 0.60% CO is the classic reading for a failed cat. The Cat cleaner may work, fingers crossed.

Hi, thank you for the reply. I have just spoken to Halfords Auto Centre where i had the MOT done. They said they will re- check the emissions today at 2pm so fingers crossed the Cataclean worked. I will update as soon as i get home.

Regards

Richie.

OK, so i took the car back to Halfords AutoCentre for the re-test, the Cataclean worked as it passed the emissions with flying colours

Did Halfords recommend the Cataclean????

Yes Halfords did rocommend the Cataclean. Luckily i have a friend that works for Euro Car Parts whom supply Halfords so instead of paying over the odds from Halfords Auto Caentre i got it at a discounted price

Good result then. Wonder if it will last till next year? Would be interesting to know.

it states on the label if your car does short and or stop start journeys then use every 3 months other wise one a year is ok. To be honest i think i will use it every 6 months.

It really did make a difference on how the car runs. Smoother and more responsive.