Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should you use Warning Triangles on Motorways?

Default Should you use Warning Triangles on Motorways?

One of my daughters has recently passed the driving test, she says that the latest advice is NOT to use warning triangles on UK motorways.

Surely it depends on the actual circumstances at the time.

what do others think? There will probably be different opinions largely based on ones age.

The Highway Code says "NEVER attempt to place a warning triangle on a motorway" and "If you cannot get your vehicle on to the hard shoulder, do not attempt to place any warning device on the carriageway".

Having known a number of people to be killed on the hard shoulder, in spite of having highly conspicuous breakdown vehicles festooned with flashing beacons, I agree totally. Placing a warning triangle is dangerous and ineffective.

What is a warning triangle going to do? A broken down car on a motorway is conspicuous. If drivers do not see the stationary vehicle, they will not see the triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    What is a warning triangle going to do? A broken down car on a motorway is conspicuous. If drivers do not see the stationary vehicle, they will not see the triangle.
    Not at night, on an unlit section of Motorway, and if the cars lights have failed.

If the safety aspect of placing the triangle puts us in danger on our motorways, why is it that having a triangle in your car is compulsory in other EU countries?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    If the safety aspect of placing the triangle puts us in danger on our motorways, why is it that having a triangle in your car is compulsory in other EU countries?
    Possibly because they know less about road safety than us, as evidenced by the accident stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Not at night, on an unlit section of Motorway, and if the cars lights have failed.
    Same applies... Anyone heading for the hard shoulder would be on the lookout (aprt from a sleeping driver), if vehicle had total electrical failure, declutch, and coast to the hard shoulder. Once on the hard shoulder get out and onto the grass verge.

I thought was down to the speed that is allowed in the EU.

The triangles for use on other roads but the ones I have seen are too small to be effective. I think it is another example of ill thought out ‘safety’ rules.

I have seen the effect of the slipstream of passing vehicles on warning triangles. They are not heavy enough to withstand that 'wind'. I would advise to get as far away from the broken down vehicle as practical, whilst awaiting assistance. I would also agree with the argument about if they cannot see a broken down vehicle, they ain't gonna see a triangle.