Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sorning your car, if thats the right term

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Someone told me recently that if your car is off the road, and sitting on your own drive (off the road) that it still has to be insured, is that correct?

If that is true, ...why?
    Not true. If you SORN it then it doesn't have to be insured - but of course if someone nicks it then you can't claim.

Thanks for that, of course they would have a job nicking it if it was up on blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Not true. If you SORN it then it doesn't have to be insured - but of course if someone nicks it then you can't claim.
    so don't they do "fire and theft only insurance" for car's anymore

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotanks View Post
    so don't they do "fire and theft only insurance" for car's anymore
    I don't think they do - but why is that relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    your answer

I still don't understand?

if your car is sorn it shouldnt be taxed or insured (i assume third party or fully comp) not used or party on the highway, so if someone vandalised/stole it you couldnt claim, so if you had fire and theft insurance you could,

I give up - if it's on your drive and insured then a claim could be made; if it isn't insured it can't. 3rd party, fully comp or whatever makes no difference - it is insured or it isn't. SORN is about tax not insurance. If you make a SORN then you must keep the vehicle of the road. Insured or not is up to you.

If you "party on the highway" it's best to leave the car on the drive and wear a high viz vest.

sounds like you dont know the law, if you sorn a vehicle now you cant not have road going insurance cover, if your vehicle is insured it must be taxed, if its taxed it must be insured reguardless of where you park it, it must be either taxed and insured or "sorn" neither taxed or insured

Whilst it is not common, insurers will take your money for an un-taxed car. You can arrange cover for a SORNed car, you can insure against it being damaged. You cannot tax a car without proof of the appropriate insurance.