Thread: T-Junction Priority

Default T-Junction Priority

Hi all,

Imagine the following situation - two cars are driving along the main road (opposite each other) and both want to go into the same side road. One of cars has to turn right and the other left - into the same side road. Now, the question is, which one has priority? My intuition would be that the car turning left would have priority - I have no idea why. Is that correct?

I also thought about the "priority on the right" rule - but obviously, to each of them the other is on their respective right.

I looked in the Highway Code and all I could find was the situation when the car are just passing and you are turning right - in which case you wait for them. But I couldn't find the case where two cars are turning into a side road from both lanes at the same time.

Thanks

the car turning left has priority because the car turning right would have to go on the same side of the road as the car turning left.

hope this helps.

whats worse is 2 cars turning right at a cross roads, who do you think has priority then? :-P

Quote Originally Posted by tenpinn View Post
    ... because the car turning right would have to go on the same side of the road as the car turning left.
    Do you mean that the car turning right would have to cross the other car's lane before it actually gets into the side road? Or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by tenpinn View Post
    whats worse is 2 cars turning right at a cross roads, who do you think has priority then? :-P
    That's a tricky one. My guess would be that none of them will have priority. What's the correct answer to your question?

Quote Originally Posted by gamehack View Post
    Do you mean that the car turning right would have to cross the other car's lane before it actually gets into the side road? Or something else?
    yeah the car turning right would have to cross the other cars lane before it actually gets into the side road

Quote Originally Posted by gamehack View Post
    That's a tricky one. My guess would be that none of them will have priority. What's the correct answer to your question?
    personally not too sure who has priority but this site might help.
    http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.htm#157

truth is you learn from experiance what todo

Originally Posted by gamehack View Post

Clarification needed. Where are the two vehicles turning right from?

Hi GH, I would imagine the one turning left would have priority, as the one turning right would have to "cross his line of route" Also it would depend on the road layout.
    I have sat and passed a few driving tests including the Advanced driving one in the 80s and the Emergency driving one in the 90s (ambulance service) and that subject has never come up? which is quite surprising really
    Cheers, Smudger.

The car turning left should have priority.

In this case where both cars are aiming for the same road, the one going left has right of way (but this only works if the car turning right knows this, so still be aware of what they're doing!)

Rob