Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next generation of computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Wagolynn, I bought Vista Business, as it gives more control. It could be that the other versions of Vista do emulate older OSs. Unfortunately, the latest versions of my software to work with Business would run over 2000. As I have already paid out this sum, I am very loath to pay again.
    The only thing you could do if the older software won't run with Vista is to dual boot with XP for your older Apps.

The problem is the Kernel for Vista was completely new, Whereas before it was the same old kernel and just a bit of revamping done to make it a little better and a fresher look .

This should do it on Vista if they ran in XP
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...ion-of-Windows

Wagolynn and Mke: Thanks for that, but I cannot dual-boot as there are no XP drivers for some of my newer hardware. Also, there is no Programme Compatibility Wizard, although this is probably because it is the Business version. There are a number of differences between The Home/Pro versions and Business.

The Windows 7 Home Premium disc I had to buy was the one that they use to install Windows 7 into computers. It cost me 82.50 at the time. You have to buy the hard ware that goes along with the disc, as they will not sell it on its own.

The on line company I buy from is really good, and their prices are unbeatable as well.

Quote......." By the time we purchase a 'new' computer, it is already out-of-date. "

Aye! that's true, my lap top was state of the art when I bought it, and it was expensive at 450, now you can buy one with 3 times the RAM and 100Gig more storage with H/D for around half that price?

~Any of you got kids or grandkids doing further education? If you have you can get very much reduced software. I calculate I saved over 800 (CAD software required) and, because he uses my pc at home, it's installed on my desktop (not that I have a clue on the CAD programme!!)

Well, according to the Jargon Buster on Computeractive it means..........

CAD

Computer Aided Design. Software used to create 3D models.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/jarg...#ixzz21NulzRlV
    Software, gadgets, magazines and more in our webstore. Click here to see our latest offers.

Don't be so smart, Smudger!! Know what it means, just can't figure out how to use it or I'd be designing me own new kitchen - somehoe can't persuade me son to do it!!!

I went straight from Windows XP to windows 7 Home Edition. Personally, I think XP was better. In documents, you were able to protect individual files on XP, but this isn't available on Windows 7 Home Edition. A PC World rep. told me it was available if I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. Don't know if this is true, and cost would be abortive anyhow. If it is true, then it's a bit cynical of Microsoft to make this differential to what is basic security.
    Also, my Samsung laser printer could scan to gile on XP. This feature won't work on my Windows 7 operating system. Even Samsung's technician could not get any of their drivers to work.
    I bought my Canon all-in-one printer after obtaining my windows 7 computer and, when trying to do certain tasks, I get a warning of compatibility problems. Whether this is a fault of Microsoft or Canon, I'm not sure.
    With Windows 8 in the offing, I wonder what boobytraps await buyers of computers with that OS?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Also, my Samsung laser printer could scan to gile on XP. This feature won't work on my Windows 7 operating system. Even Samsung's technician could not get any of their drivers to work.
    I bought my Canon all-in-one printer after obtaining my windows 7 computer and, when trying to do certain tasks, I get a warning of compatibility problems. Whether this is a fault of Microsoft or Canon, I'm not sure.
    With Windows 8 in the offing, I wonder what boobytraps await buyers of computers with that OS?
    No start menu, a completely revamped interface... going to be interesting to see how users adapt to it or if they shun it.